Upgrading gpu aspire pc aspire gx 785 ES11

Options
Parilis
Parilis Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2020 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have a aspire gx 785 ES11 and I’m thinking of upgrading my gpu to a rtx 3060 ti and I was wondering if it would fit or work

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which model Acer do you have? If it's got a GX 785 in it there might be issue with an upgrade, because that is a pretty old card, so the system might be even older...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Parilis
    Options
    I bought it 2 years ago and it has an i7 7700 core with 16 gbs of ram with an Hdd and a gtx 1060 with windows 10
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, with a 7th gen chipset it likely came with a UEFI BIOS, so upgrading to a newer card will be easier. You will likely need to upgrade the power at the same time as you do the GPU, because the 3060 requires quite a bit more than the 785. If it were me I'd do a SSD upgrade first though, it'll have a huge impact on overall system performance, and will be a lot cheaper than the GPU upgrade. If you can get your model number I can look to see whether it has an M.2 slot for a SSD and what type of drives are supported.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Parilis
    Options
    It does have a slot for the ssd but that’s the only thing I could find out and the gpu i have right now is the gtx 1060 and would I still need to upgrade my power supply?
  • billsey
    Options
    You should look at the power supply to see what it's rated at right now. With a 1060 it might be 300W and it might be 500W. NVIDIA says to use a 600W supply at the minimum for a 3060 ti, so you're looking at an upgrade to the PSU either way.
  • Parilis
    Options
    I was trying to look this up but I couldn’t find out what motherboard do I have in my gx 785 ES11 
  • billsey
    Options
    The motherboard in the Aspire GX-785 is a custom design by Acer. It uses the Intel Skylake B150 chipset.
  • Parilis
    Options
    So I got an ssd but was also wondering can I upgrade my CPU to the intel 10th gen cpus bc I don’t know about how the CPU upgrading stuff works 
  • billsey
    Options
    Nope, motherboards are tied to the chipset design used and those only typically support CPUs from the same generation. You have the B150 chipset which supports Kaby Lake processors, so 7th gen. If you are running the i5-7400 CPU then the upgrade is to an i7-7700. With the 7th gen CPUs the i5 has four cores and can run four simultaneous threads, the i7 is also four core but can run eight threads.