Ram Upgrade Predator G3-710

Hesster56
Hesster56 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hello all you fine people. A couple years ago I bought myself a G3-710 Predator, and I love it. But I think she needs more RAM. I've got 16gb preinstalled, and I know it supports up to 64, but I want to make sure I get the right stuff.  The model is DG.E04AA.008.

Based on what I can find, I need DDR4-2133/PC4-17000 DDR4 SDRAM. I can understand most of that, but-any recommendations or pointers are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe so, the spec says 2400 anyway for the 7th gen systems.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    There were two different iterations of the G3-710, one with 6th gen CPUs and the other with 7th gen. Which CPU do you have? Are the current memory module(s) 2133MHz? The reason I ask is that yours is new enough that it's likely the 7th gen (like i7-7700) and uses 2400MHz memory instead of 2133MHz. If so it's better to stick with the faster memory. Also, are you running on a HDD or SSD? If SSD is it in the M.2 slot near the back of the MB? If not you will get a really nice improvement overall by dropping an M.2 SATA3 drive in there (not NVMe) and switching to using it for boot and the OS. You can repurpose the HDD for data storage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hesster56
    Hesster56 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

It's an i7-7700, so 7th gen. Current RAM is 2133. Can I just pull all those and put 2400's in?

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe so, the spec says 2400 anyway for the 7th gen systems.