Acer support Says Spin 3(SP314-54N) cannot Cast to TV

Options
GPS5
GPS5 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently purchased a Spin 3 (SP314-54N) and cannot Cast to my smart TV.  I can see my TV device under bluetooth devices.  When I try to Cast, I get an error that Source is not supported.  I contacted ACER support today and was told the SPin3 does not support 'Casting' to a TV.  I find this very difficult to believe, that a brand new laptop could not use a very basic Windows function common with today's Smart TVs. 

Has anyone else experienced this or have a work around? This is my first Acer purchase and I'm mystified something so basic wouldn't be available.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    When you hit the Windows-P key combo do you have the link for "Connect to a Wireless Display"? I would expect the TV to show up after clicking the link. Bluetooth wouldn't be an appropriate connection method because the bandwidth for video is too limited.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GPS5
    Options
    Thanks for your response. When I hit WIndows/P it does give me the option to connect to a wireless display.  It even sees my TV however when I try to connect it says Device Not Supported.  I contacted Acer Support who did some research on my SPin 3 (314 54N) and responded that this device doesn't support 'casting'.  I find that extremely hard to believe in this modern world???

I wondered if purchasing something like a Chromecast device would overcome this, however if the problem is on the laptop end (brand new Acer SPin 3) I am not sure trying to connect a Chromecast device to my TV would overcome the issue.

Thanks
    GPS

• billsey
    Options
    What TV is it? My Spin 3 is a different model, but I could try with my TV. The problem is I bought a new TV on a Black Friday deal so mine might be quite a bit newer than yours.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GPS5
    Options
    It is a 55 inch Samsung LED.  However according to Acer Support the Spin 3 doesn't support 'casting' which is unbelievable to me.  Surely in today's world there is a work around?  My much older cheap Dell could cast seamlessly.  It isn't the TV I can cast from other devices, just not my new, fairly expensive Acer Laptop
  • billsey
    Options
    So, what happens when you try to connect to the wireless display? Is the TV on the same wireless as your Spin 3? "Casting" typically refers to a Chrome app and isn't really a good generic word to use when asking about connecting to a wireless display.
  • GPS5
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  I too thought this was a Chrome feature, however it is also in the Edge brower   ...>More tools>Cast to a media Device.  As stated when I try to cast it sees the TV but says This Device not Supported, referring to my laptop. (I can cast with other devices to that TV).  When I contacted Acer support they pointed me to a utility that basically says this laptop does not support Miracast (something I've never heard of but apparently the basis for casting).  I saw with my own eyes that it said Miracast isnt' supported.  

Considering this is a wildly popular option, I'm very surprised my new laptop can't 'cast'.  If someone knows of an alternative method, that doesn't require Miracast, I'm all ears.  Otherwise, I'll never purchase another Acer product, this was my first.
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, so you tried this procedure to turn Miracast on and the GPU in your machine does support it, or the WiFi card doesn't support it? Miracast and ChromeCast are different, and that was what was confusing me. If Windows-P gives you the option to connect to a Wireless Display, then the system thinks you are compatible...
  • GPS5
    Options
    The Spin 3 apparently doesn't support Miracast according to Acer support.  Period.
  • billsey
    Options
    And you have verified that by trying yourself? I don't have a Spin 3 handy to try with, but all the rest of my Acer laptops support it...