GPU fan speed is less than CPU fan speed when set to max.

Options
DeadShot
DeadShot Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I opened up my laptop fans to clean them, unscrewed the cover to clean the inside vents of all that dust that built up over the months. I pulled the fan itself out of the magnetic bearing to look at them and put them back in it. After all of this my GPU and CPU temps went down by 20c from 95c during gameplay. Im bothered by the fact my GPU fan speed is at 6000 RPM when its supposed to be at 6122 RPM like the CPU (it was before cleaning). I upgraded BIOS from 1.31 to 1.32 and still no luck. Someone pls help :anguished:

Answers

• DeadShot
    Options
    UPDATE: CPU fan speed went down to 6000, same as GPU now when set to max with nitrosense. This was not a issue until today when I decided to open the fans and clean the vents and the fans itself, no i did not touch the middle part of the bearing or the fan itself
  • DeadShot
    Options
    someone pls help, i need real answers, what do i need to do to get gpu fan back to 6122 RPM like it used to be when set to max :(((
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    So either the fan is degraded or NitroSense (NS) is not reading the RPMs correctly, let me bring some background info why I am assuming that. (NS) is reading and setting the RPMs directly in the EC (Embedded Controller) -ADM or ME (Management Engine) - Intel and no other software except NBFC is able to read and control the fan speeds. The Nitro line laptops has option in BIOS to create your own fan curve via PWM and to enable thermal Fan control, unfortunately those options are hidden from us and set to disabled. Long story short: To exclude or verify fan degradation you can install NBFC and compare the data from (NS) with it. Although NBFC shows the RPMs in % but still you can get the picture. Other than that I don`t have any more suggestions for you.

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• DeadShot
    edited December 2020
    Options
    batmalin said:
    So either the fan is degraded or NitroSense (NS) is not reading the RPMs correctly, let me bring some background info why I am assuming that. (NS) is reading and setting the RPMs directly in the EC (Embedded Controller) -ADM or ME (Management Engine) - Intel and no other software except NBFC is able to read and control the fan speeds. The Nitro line laptops has option in BIOS to create your own fan curve via PWM and to enable thermal Fan control, unfortunately those options are hidden from us and set to disabled. Long story short: To exclude or verify fan degradation you can install NBFC and compare the data from (NS) with it. Although NBFC shows the RPMs in % but still you can get the picture. Other than that I don`t have any more suggestions for you.

Alright I used NBFC and nitrosense to compare. I set max fans via nitrosense and my GPU fan is running at 98% (6000 RPM) and my CPU is running at 100% (6122 RPM) according to NBFC. I don't know why the GPU fan isn't running at 100% (6122 RPM) like it was before I opened up my laptop fans to clean the inside vents with a cotton swab.

I pulled out the fan blade out of bearing to see if I can figure out why it was making a rattling/buzzing noise when I turn on the laptop in the morning. I put them back correctly because I know its magnetic. I don't know why this would cause the GPU fan to spin at a lower RPM though because the CPU fan is fine I think.

EDIT: i also took out the CPU fan blade as well to check.
  • DeadShot
    Options
    batmalin said:

I still need help. 
  • DeadShot
    Options
    someone pls help
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Switch the connectors of the both fans and check if the fan needs to be replaced or there is an issue with the EC.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158