Aspire 5 A515-44-R41B RAM question(s)...

Spamalot
Spamalot Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I recently acquired an Aspire 5 A515-44-R41B (Ryzen 5 - 4500u).  It comes with 8 GB DDR4.  In research prior to my purchase, I learned that this particular computer performs considerably better with 16 GB of DDR4 memory.  So, I went to the Crucial website, plugged in the model, and ended up buying an 8 GB DDR4 3200 CL22 stick.  Subsequently, I learned that the soldered memory with which the computer was shipped was Hynix Timetec 8 GB DDR4 2667 CL 19.  While considering the purchase of another Timetec 8 GB DDR4 2667 CL19 stick so that they would match, I learned that the BIOS has memory set at 2400.  While I have found varying opinions as to whether the RAM sticks should match, I have found nothing about boosting the speed in BIOS to 2666(7).  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Your mainboard determines the maximum bus speed of 1200MHz, so double-data rate 2400MHz or faster module will be limited to 2400MHz max. You might get a slight benefit by using a module that can operate in dual channel mode. Obviously a soldered module can't match a replaceable module except in nominal  rating values. A truly electronically matched pair are usually identical modules sold as a kit with for example 2667MHz  nominal speeds ratings but that have been actually frequency matched to allow for production frequency variations. So a module with actual speed of 2680MHz (still nominally rated at 2667) would be matched with another module with an actual 2680MHz speed instead of one with an actual speed of 2640MHz or 2700MHz. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>According to Windows Task Master, the memory is functioning in a dual channel configuration at 2400 MHz>>>

If Ctrl+S reveals no hidden options in any of the BIOS tabs, then the max bus speed is set at 1200MHz to the RAM sockets. The original specs claimed 8GB on-board soldered DDR4 2666MHz RAM with up to a 16GB module in the replaceable socket for a total of 24GB. I think the main benefit of changing your current config with the 8GB crucial replaceable module with anything else, including exchanging it for a 16GB crucial module, would probably be 24GB RAM bragging rights.  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Your mainboard determines the maximum bus speed of 1200MHz, so double-data rate 2400MHz or faster module will be limited to 2400MHz max. You might get a slight benefit by using a module that can operate in dual channel mode. Obviously a soldered module can't match a replaceable module except in nominal  rating values. A truly electronically matched pair are usually identical modules sold as a kit with for example 2667MHz  nominal speeds ratings but that have been actually frequency matched to allow for production frequency variations. So a module with actual speed of 2680MHz (still nominally rated at 2667) would be matched with another module with an actual 2680MHz speed instead of one with an actual speed of 2640MHz or 2700MHz. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Spamalot

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Thank you for your response.  I know just enough about computers to enable me to create huge blunders.  (Timeshift is my favorite program.)  I had thought that AMD had an equivaltent to XMP in their BIOS, but, as I am using a dual boot (Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20), the settings I had configured there may have eliminated the possibility of the slight over-clocking.  Of course, the real annoying issue, for me, is that my motherboard appears to lack the GUI I see for others in YouTube videos.  Again, thank you for your response
  • JackE
    >>>(Timeshift is my favorite program.)>>>

Really? What a coincidence!! It's my least favorite utility. The one time I really needed it, it failed. I had to rely on another previously cloned drive.    :/   Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Spamalot

Tinkerer

Well, a week later and I now have another set of questions.  To reiterate, my laptop has the Ryzen 5 - 4500u processor.  It came with 8 GB of Timetec DDR4 memory at 2666 MHz and CL19.  To this, I added 8 GB of Crucial DDR4 memory at 3200 MHz and CL22 (one of the suitable upgrades recommended by the Micron site).  I use a dual boot (Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and Windows 10).  According to Windows Task Master, the memory is functioning in a dual channel configuration at 2400 MHz, and according to CPU-X (an open source version of CPU-Z), the Crucial memory is in "Bank 0" and the Timetec memory is in "Bank 1".  I don't know if it is due to the settings necessary to boot Linux, but I cannot find anything in the BIOS which would allow me to up the speed to 2666 MHz.  That said, is there any meaningful benefit to be had, beyond some benchmarks, in replacing the Crucial stick with 8 GB of Timetec memory at 2666 MHz and CL19.  I presume any benefit would be due to the timing.  Second, as the additional cost would not be significant, would there be any benefit to replacing the Crucial memory with 16 GB, instead of 8 GB, of Timetec memory at 2666 MHz and 19CL.  I don't know if I would lose the dual channel element of the configuration or not.  I have also read that the larger chip should be in the first slot, but I don't know whether the soldered chip occupies that or not.

Lastly, Timeshift is working very nicely for me.  For whatever reasons, the latest Linux kernels have had issues with WIFI and ethernet.  When the system is functioning, I take a snapshot of the settings using Timeshift.  If, or when, I lose WIFI, I simply recover the settings which worked.  For files/data, I use Grsync.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>According to Windows Task Master, the memory is functioning in a dual channel configuration at 2400 MHz>>>

If Ctrl+S reveals no hidden options in any of the BIOS tabs, then the max bus speed is set at 1200MHz to the RAM sockets. The original specs claimed 8GB on-board soldered DDR4 2666MHz RAM with up to a 16GB module in the replaceable socket for a total of 24GB. I think the main benefit of changing your current config with the 8GB crucial replaceable module with anything else, including exchanging it for a 16GB crucial module, would probably be 24GB RAM bragging rights.  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Spamalot

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Thank you for the response.  I had a suspicion that any attempt to upgrade would produce negligible results, but I wanted a more informed opinion.  Thanks!
  • Spamalot

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Just a quick update on this subject, in case it interests anyone.  There was a recent update for the Insyde bios firmware.  In the case of my laptop, it went from v1.06 to v1.11.  Among other things, the motherboard has adjusted the memory speed from 2400 MT/s to 2667 MT/s.  At least, it now matches the OEM memory stick.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on this. Did you notice an 11% speed difference? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Spamalot

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Thanks for reporting back on this. Did you notice an 11% speed difference? Jack E/NJ

For all practical purposes, I cannot tell the difference, but, in my heart, I know it is now zipping along nanoseconds faster, and that makes me feel all that much better. :)
  • JackE
    That's the spirit! LOL!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ