Blinking light on acer predator G6-710

HenriHawk
HenriHawk Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Predator Desktops
Hey there, yesterday I booted up cyberpunk 2077 while in turbo boost mode. I took a quick break, and accidentally dropped my controller which was plugged into the computer. I come back, and now my PC won't turn on. The computer does nothing. I've confirmed that the PSU works, ive confirmed the power button isn't the problem. The only information I have is a blinking light below the power button.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, that's liable to be a short on the MB then, likely somewhere like at a USB port. You will need to inspect for any burnt components to try and in it down further and you are looking at either a MB replacement or repair. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    edited December 2020
    First make sure it's actually off and not just stuck in some weird mode. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds so it's had the forced power off. I expect that won't help but better to be sure. Here's a picture of the front of a Predator G6-710, where is the blinking light exactly?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HenriHawk

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    First make sure it's actually off and not just stuck in some weird mode. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds so it's had the forced power off. I expect that won't help but better to be sure. Here's a picture of the front of a Predator G6-710, where is the blinking light exactly?

Thanks for the reply, I did try forcing it to sleep. That didn't work. The LED that's flashing isn't listed in the picture, but it is on the front. It's kind of hard to see, but there's a diffusing piece of plastic just above the red grill above the logo. Behind there is a red LED. See image attached.

• billsey
    So that looks like the activity LED for the ODD. That is going to do something as soon as it powers up, even without the system asking it to read the disk info. That means it's not an indication of anything coming up on the motherboard, only that power has been applied to the DVD drive. When you confirmed that the PSU works, how did you do it?
  • HenriHawk

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    So that looks like the activity LED for the ODD. That is going to do something as soon as it powers up, even without the system asking it to read the disk info. That means it's not an indication of anything coming up on the motherboard, only that power has been applied to the DVD drive. When you confirmed that the PSU works, how did you do it?

I confirmed by shorting two pins on the PSU MB cable. I forgot which ones, but a green one and a black one. When I shorted them out, everything turned on. If i plugged it back into the MB, it still wouldn't work.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, that's liable to be a short on the MB then, likely somewhere like at a USB port. You will need to inspect for any burnt components to try and in it down further and you are looking at either a MB replacement or repair. :(
  • RDaneri
    RDaneri Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did this ever get solved. Mine did the same thing last night. I was watching some TV online and poof. System shut down and just blinking red light under power button 
  • HenriHawk

Tinkerer

RDaneri said:
    Did this ever get solved. Mine did the same thing last night. I was watching some TV online and poof. System shut down and just blinking red light under power button 
    Nope. I ended up building a new pc, and I salvaged the RAM and GPU from my old pc. Sorry about that lol. Wish you luck! ✌️
  • billsey
    @RDaneri start a new thread for yours, this one was pretty esoteric and your issue might be completely different. Include your full model number (something like G6-710-xxxx), the exact symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far. Hopefully it won't as fried as this one was...
  • HenriHawk

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    @RDaneri start a new thread for yours, this one was pretty esoteric and your issue might be completely different. Include your full model number (something like G6-710-xxxx), the exact symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far. Hopefully it won't as fried as this one was...
    Weird thing was, I never smelled or saw the magic smoke lol
  • billsey
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, Magic Smoke™ is typically caused by burning silicon and sometimes the shorts burn other materials. :(
  • HenriHawk

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Yeah, Magic Smoke™ is typically caused by burning silicon and sometimes the shorts burn other materials. :(
    Yeah. What sucks even more is that when my computer died, I was in the middle of finals, and I had to do video editing. Luckily I was able to do everything on my laptop lol.
This discussion has been closed.