Spin 5 Cursor moves to half circle on far right edge of screen - Spin SP513-54N

JodyTX
JodyTX Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
The cursor on my Spin 5 (Spin SP513-54N) will sometimes move to the far right center of my screen, almost like it is trapped inside the left-half of a hazy circle. You can temporarily move the cursor, but it always jumps back to that half circle. I have to reboot to return it to normal. Any ideas? Thanks. (I made some screen shots, but didn't see that I could post a picture.)

Answers

• Hi,
    Go to Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click Standard PS/2 keyboard and select Properties, move to Driver tab and uninstall the driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver.
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

Thanks. I'll try it out.
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

Brummyfan2, thanks for your help but it did not work. The little vertical half circle came back this morning. It's like it is a magnet that attracts the pointer.
  • Hi,
    Try reinstalling Quick Access Application, go to Acer support site and download Quick Access application, uninstall the current Quick access application in programs, then install the downloaded Application.
    Product Support | Acer United States
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Try disabling the touchpad to see if it goes away. It's possible the touchpad is always registering a touch on the right edge.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

I continue having to restart computer because cursor gets trapped inside half-circle on sides of screen. I upgraded to Windows 11 and now this happens almost every time I open the computer. Sometimes it is on left edge of screen and sometimes on right edge (photos above). The half-circle acts a magnet because you can move cursor away and it will jump back to that area.
  • billsey
    Did you try my suggestion?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

Billsey, yes but I still have same problem. 
  • billsey
    So we know it is not the touchpad that's moving everything to the side. Do both click buttons on the touchpad actually click? Something must be stuck somewhere. Try going to Settings; Ease of Access; Cursor and look for anything set there...
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

I seldom use the touchpad. I typically work on a desktop so I'm used to a mouse and that's what I use on my Acer Spin 5.
  • billsey
    Is it a wireless mouse or wired?
  • JodyTX

Tinkerer

Wireless mouse
  • Does this model have a touch screen display? If so, try disabling touch screen in device manager.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vancouverizer
    vancouverizer Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this same model and it appears to be a hardware issue. Short of having the laptop serviced (I have not bothered) the only way I have found to permanently correct this issue in software is to disable the touch screen (as   egydiocoelho has suggested). Though logging out of Windows and back in (or restarting Windows) may temporarily correct the issue it does appear to be hardware related (either the wiring to the screen or the screen itself has broken down) because the problem gets worse over time and will occur more frequently.

Pressing F7 (or Fn+F7 if you have switched how Fn keys work in the Bios) disables *both* the touch screen and the touch pad unfortunately. To disable the touch screen by itself must be done in Windows Device Manager. The touch screen is listed under "Human Interface Devices" as "HID compliant touch screen".

Using a mouse will not fix the issue (even if you have Windows set to disable the touch pad) because the issue is with the touch screen, not the touch pad.

After disabling the touch screen you may still see a square box outline appear over the Windows Taskbar in the same location the cursor gets stuck when the touch screen is enabled. I believe this may completely go away after restarting Windows. I'm not sure why that occurs but presumably there is some remnant of the touch screen driver being enabled until you restart.

Given that there are various complaints about this same issue on several online forums (Microsoft and others) it would be nice if Acer would offer an official response. It would be a shame if future laptops with similar design suffer from the same issue.
  • billsey
    Well, since we are a community support board, you won't see any official response from Acer here. The only way they see the issue is if people experiencing it start a service ticket and follow through with it. I suggest that you, and anyone else experiencing the issue, contact Acer support so they can be aware of it. We have had very few people here asking about it, so it's not particularly widespread, but it would be nice to have a root cause for future cases.