Proper drivers in Ubuntu for Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-53UU

Options
trouner
trouner Member Posts: 2 New User
I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 on 3 Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-53UU, and so far I have several problems:
  • Sound is not working at all (not mic or speakers)
  • Touchpad works (with a grub hack) but no multitouch works, I'm not able to scroll on the touchpad
  • Ubuntu doesn't recognize screen and can't change resolution
  • Secondary screen also not recognized by Ubuntu
Have I installed something wrong? Are there any repositories for Acer drivers? How can I fix all these issues?

Answers

• maaaddog
    maaaddog Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hello trouner, I bought the same notebook and I'm struggling with the same problems. I tried to install Linux Mint 20 next to Windows 10. A few years ago this wasn't a big issue since by installing Linux, the installer already detected Windows and suggested the right partitions for Linux, grub, swap (which is no longer needed) and so on. With "Secure-Boot" and all its preinstalled partitions (it seems that there exist partitions that recover the recovery partition...), unfortunately it got worse. The Linux Mint installer meanwhile is completely overwhelmed with these things. The automatic installer may succeed with the installation but when you boot your notebook it always starts Windows. After shrinking the Windows partition in Windows, disabling fast startup and turning off secure boot (on that Acer notebook you have to temporarily set an BIOS admin password for this!) and overwriting Windows boot partition manager (i.e. manually select the grub partition for linux) you have a chance of getting Linux running... Once you have done that you will face the problems trouner mentioned above. Trouner, I have at least a short peace of good message for you: I can use the speakers now. I was able to do this by sudo nano /etc/default/grub and changing the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0" Rebooting and reopening the grub file (strange: sometimes, especially when I started Win10 before, the speakers again didn't work on Linux) and closing the grub file solved that problem(?) However, I can use my speakers now. But still the microphone does not work. Does anyone have a tweak for this problem?
  • trouner
    trouner Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I gave up with this computer, returned it to the store a bought a DELL fully compatible with Linux
  • maaaddog
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry for that. On https://askubuntu.com/questions/1297798/ubuntu-20-04-fresh-install-on-brand-new-acer-aspire-5-computer-absolutelty-horr I found an interesting comment from Nemanja Martinovic (using the same notebook). There he says that once he upgraded the kernel from 5.4.0 (Ubuntu 20.04) to version 5.10.4. the mentioned problems disappeared. Sounds good. I will give that a try...

• maaaddog
    Options
    For the sake of completeness: Upgrading the linux kernel version 5.10.4 solved all the mentioned problems. It's not that difficult. So what did I do?
     0) If you have changed grub settings: Remove self-made "hacks" in grub to their original values. Update grub by "sudo update-grub"
     1) Go to https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D and click on current kernel version directory (in my case: "v5.10.4")
      2) Download
        a) linux-headers-VERSION-NUMBER_all.deb
        b) linux-headers-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb
        c) linux-image-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb
        d) linux-modules-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb
      2) sudo dpkg -i *.deb
      3) Restart
    The new kernel gets automatically preselected by grub. However, you can switch also to your prevoius kernel version as well.
    That was all. Good luck!

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Or download and install this tool - https://github.com/bkw777/mainline/releases

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158