Can't install any system on Acer Aspire 5 A515-56

Options
ArtBen
ArtBen Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello, 

I purchased new laptop few hours ago. It has wdc pc sn530 ssd pnpz-512g-1114 ssd disk. What's the problem: Windows 10 installer can't see M2 SSD as a repository for OS installation, installer doesn't show any disks where i can install the system. However in BIOS I can see my SSD as "HDD1". I've also tried to install Ubuntu, and what's interesting - ubuntu can see my disk, but later after installation of the system ubuntu... can't boot, really don't know why. Also, the BIOS setting are quite basic. I've read that combination of CTRL+S in main settings may be the resolution, but in my whole bios i don't have option to change UEFI. Checked previous problems in whole community but for now every solution failed. I even checked list of disks in diskpart in installer and it showed my only my pendrive with windows, my ssd wasn't recognized by Windows' installer. Laptop is equipped with a single SSD so there is no option of installing OS on another drive-updating BIOS and reinstalling OS. 

Any advices would be helpful, thanks in advance. If any screenshots would be helpful, then just give me a sign about them. :)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    ArtBen said:
    Hello, 

I purchased new laptop few hours ago. It has wdc pc sn530 ssd pnpz-512g-1114 ssd disk. What's the problem: Windows 10 installer can't see M2 SSD as a repository for OS installation, installer doesn't show any disks where i can install the system. However in BIOS I can see my SSD as "HDD1". I've also tried to install Ubuntu, and what's interesting - ubuntu can see my disk, but later after installation of the system ubuntu... can't boot, really don't know why. Also, the BIOS setting are quite basic. I've read that combination of CTRL+S in main settings may be the resolution, but in my whole bios i don't have option to change UEFI. Checked previous problems in whole community but for now every solution failed. I even checked list of disks in diskpart in installer and it showed my only my pendrive with windows, my ssd wasn't recognized by Windows' installer. Laptop is equipped with a single SSD so there is no option of installing OS on another drive-updating BIOS and reinstalling OS. 

Any advices would be helpful, thanks in advance. If any screenshots would be helpful, then just give me a sign about them. :)

Firstly “Windows 10 installer can't see M2 SSD as a repository for OS installation”? that’s impossible if you are using a Win-10 that was done on a GPT/UEFI system, do the new “Create Windows 10 installation media” USB with your current laptop and then boot the Win-10 installation that way, as you must have a MBR/Legacy installation USB and that is why you cant and don’t see “M2 SSD as a repository for OS installation”. Try that as that will work with both Win-10 and Ubuntu and willsolve your problem(s).

• ArtBen
    ArtBen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for response. When i try to use Win10 that was done on MBR/Legacy, then laptop can't even recognize my pendrive as device. When I do Win10 on GPT, then installer itself works obviously, but the issue with this solution from the very beginning is the same - installer can't find any SSD in laptop, so i even can't try to install win10 on my new laptop. Posting also some screenshots - one showing installer which can't find disk, another one from BIOS showing that disk is in laptop and third one also in installer, where in cmd i used diskpart.
  • tomek8812
    tomek8812 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    ORIGINAL
    Witam, 
    Potwierdzam ten sam problem proszę o pomoc ?
    TRANSLATED

Hello,

I confirm the same problem, please help?

Edited the content by translating from Polish to English

• Terjani
    Terjani Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    ORIGINAL
    dziękuje bardzo !!

TRANSLATED
    thank you very much!!

Edited the content by translating from Polish to English
  • jiocariz
    jiocariz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello! I'm having the same problem (Windows 10 installer does not see any disk in the laptop to perform the installation) 

I tried some alternatives but I think this was the most important one:

I went to A515-56 driver page and I downloaded IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver ... saved to an USB drive and connected to my laptop to select it during Windows 10 installation. I selected it and voilà! Disks recognized

I hope this helps...

• ren4th
    ren4th Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    model: Acer Aspire A515-56
    CPU: i5-1135G7
    Disk: WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1114
    Bios: v1.01

Problem: Win10 installer can't see disk

My solution:
    - run bios
    - on "Main" menu press ctrl + s to display "VMD Controller" setting
    - disable VMD Controller
    - save changes
    - run Win10 installer again ;)

This worked for me.
    But why does ACER do this realy?
    Shouldn't it be in their best interest to allow their users to install what ever they want in the easiest way possible?

• ArchBitang
    ArchBitang Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    model: Acer Aspire A515-56
    CPU: i5-1135G7
    Disk: WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1114
    Bios: v1.01

Problem: Win10 installer can't see disk

My solution:
    - run bios
    - on "Main" menu press ctrl + s to display "VMD Controller" setting
    - disable VMD Controller
    - save changes
    - run Win10 installer again ;)

I just wanted to comment (bought today Acer Aspire 5 A515-56G with 512GB M.2 SSD and tried to install Win10 Pro 64-bit) that you saved my day! After 5-6 useless advices online, this is THE solution! Thank you my friend!!
    May you overclock yours successfully to 10GHz and bench your grandchildren with it in 40 years and still be below 60°C when you beat them by 50FPS!! :D
  • AaronPorsche
    AaronPorsche Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    It worked for me too: I'm on an Acer Porsche Design and had some issues with the sound output where each time my system would enter sleep, when out of sleep the sound would be all garbled, so I always had to reboot my computer to fix the sound output. That's when I decided to install Ubuntu. It helped with the sound but I then had other issues such as the laptop overheating when watching videos on Netflix or Youtube or using Google Earth (where the laptop would overheat and then shut right off). So I was in the process of reinstalling Windows 10 hoping they had fixed the audio driver but to no avail. I was at my wits end.

That is until I found that topic. So yes you have to CTRL+S on the main tab of the UEFI BIOS settings which then makes a new setting show up with "VMD Controller" and have to disable that setting and go from there. 

I have no idea why Acer makes it so complicated for its user base to switch OSes. You would think buying the Porsche Design buys you the best laptop money can buy and then you stumble over and over on those nagging small issues. 

Oh well, thank you KrzysztofS for saving my day and my mood!
This discussion has been closed.