Windows 10 won't run on my samsung 860 evo ssd

Options
Medyboy
Medyboy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I recently bought a samsung 860 ssd for my predator g3620, the PC detects it fine, as I am able to install windows on it, however once that it done, it comes up with a reboot error even though it's the priority drive. I even disconnected any other SATA cables and just left my ssd but it fails to boot from the ssd. My HDD is 1tb and my SSD is 500gb.

My friend said it could be an old BIOS as i have the p11-a3 which was last updated at 2012, but the latest update for that BIOS is also at 2012. I dont want to install the wrong BIOS so I would be glad if someone could help ASAP.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,950 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Medyboy said:
    Hi, I recently bought a samsung 860 ssd for my predator g3620, the PC detects it fine, as I am able to install windows on it, however once that it done, it comes up with a reboot error even though it's the priority drive. I even disconnected any other SATA cables and just left my ssd but it fails to boot from the ssd. My HDD is 1tb and my SSD is 500gb.

My friend said it could be an old BIOS as i have the p11-a3 which was last updated at 2012, but the latest update for that BIOS is also at 2012. I dont want to install the wrong BIOS so I would be glad if someone could help ASAP.

First, did you clone your existing boot drive with Samsung’s “Data Migration” software? As that is what you should do first tomake your PC boot the same as before. Also, are you sure that you have the version P11.A3 and not the P11.A3L type BIOS? As I would update the BIOS to the latest/last BIOS version P11.B1first, as you have a GPT/UEFI type BIOS, which makes a difference of how the SSD is recognised. Also look at your current BIOS at “Main” under “SATA Mode” and if it says [AHCI Mode]? Also, is the Samsung 860 EVO SSD recognised in the BIOS under “Boot > Boot priority order” is “Secure Boor” [Enabled] and does it say under “Boot priority order” as #1. Windows Boot Manager” as that is what it should be for everything to work 100% under a GPT/UEFI type BIOS.

Btw, I’m running the same SSD and it works 100% under a GPT/UEFI type BIOS and has been for quite a while, check all that I’ve mentioned above and let us know.

• Medyboy
    Medyboy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Medyboy said:

First, did you clone your existing boot drive with Samsung’s “Data Migration” software? As that is what you should do first tomake your PC boot the same as before. Also, are you sure that you have the version P11.A3 and not the P11.A3L type BIOS? As I would update the BIOS to the latest/last BIOS version P11.B1first, as you have a GPT/UEFI type BIOS, which makes a difference of how the SSD is recognised. Also look at your current BIOS at “Main” under “SATA Mode” and if it says [AHCI Mode]? Also, is the Samsung 860 EVO SSD recognised in the BIOS under “Boot > Boot priority order” is “Secure Boor” [Enabled] and does it say under “Boot priority order” as #1. Windows Boot Manager” as that is what it should be for everything to work 100% under a GPT/UEFI type BIOS.

Btw, I’m running the same SSD and it works 100% under a GPT/UEFI type BIOS and has been for quite a while, check all that I’ve mentioned above and let us know.

Hi, my BIOS is p11-A3 as i run windows not linux. On the acer website the p11-B1 version says windows 8 (not for upgrades). would this cause a problem for me who wants to install windows 10, or is this in regards to upgrades from windows 7. I had previously upgraded windows 8 to 8.1 then to 10 on my HDD and now i want to install windows 10 onto a new ssd. But i dont want to ruin my computer by downloading the wrong BIOS. I would like some clarification on this and which to download and possibly the link to download from please. 
    Thanks 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The G3620 models originally came with Windows 7 and without UEFI support, then later they upgraded to coming with Window 8 and with UEFI support. You can't add UEFI to the older machines, though the newer ones could be downgraded to legacy boot for those users who wanted W7 instead of W8. I'm guessing you are booting in legacy mode but your install set the drive up as GPT with an EFI partition, so it will not boot. Verify the drive is set for MBR and your BIOS is doing legacy and reinstall W10, it should install in legacy mode and allow booting. If your machine is new enough to support UEFI, then start in UEFI mode and set the disk to GPT instead of MBR. The Windows installer should create everything needed for UEFI boot then.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.