Crackling noise on Aspire A515-54 notebook

HumblePie
HumblePie Member Posts: 3 New User
edited July 2022 in Aspire Laptops
My Aspire notebook model A515-54G-586Z has started to make a loud crackling noise whenever there is any sound output. 
It happens with the built-in speakers, and with headphones or external speakers attached through the jack (headphone/microphone combo port). 
Notebook is still quite new - purchase 20/07/2020, manufacture 22/05/2020 - and has worked OK until now.
Operating system is Windows 10 version 1909. No significant updates that I can see during the past month: just routine quality updates KB4023057, KB4586786, KB4580980, plus antivirus definitions.
This problem of sound crackling is often raised in the forums. I tried the usual fixes that users suggest:
- fiddle with all the device settings: sample rate & bit depth, exclusive mode, signal enhancements, spatial sound, etc;
- disable the device (Realtek Audio Controller), restart, re-enable;
- download latest version of audio driver (Realtek 6.0.8865.1 dated 24/12/2019) from Acer support, uninstall old version, restart, re-install new version, restart;
- turn off Acer True Harmony, through Realtek Audio Control.
Nothing worked. Waste of time.
So now there is no sound output that I can listen to, and the notebook is practically  useless.
I don't know what to try next. The advanced forums do suggest other solutions, but they need bold actions like going into BIOS, installing non-standard drivers, or even reinstalling Windows. I don't have the nerve to try any of those.
Easier to send the PC back to Acer or Amazon. Or maybe chuck it in the bin.
This is all soooo frustrating!
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Answers

• HumblePie
    Just a follow-up to my question about crackling noises:
    I tried using Bluetooth earphones and the sound is fine. No great surprise as I think they use completely different drivers, but it could help towards identifying what's going wrong.
  • Miraz_Noor
    Miraz_Noor Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem since a long time, tried updating, rolling back drivers but nothing resolved the problem!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    This is a pretty old thread, if the original poster doesn't have an answer for you soon go ahead and start your own thread. Include your full model number (Like the A515-54-xxxx this one is for, the number is usually on the same sticker as your SN and SNID), what you are seeing (or hearing in this case) and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @ HumblePie
    Popping, crackling, and other sound problems can be caused due to a variety of different reasons. It can be bad drivers, incorrect audio settings, or some other hardware device interfering. This is a very common issue with laptops which mostly surfaces after an update.

• HumblePie
    Many thanks to the 3 kind users who responded today.
    Fortunately, after about 6 months, the problem simply went away. I suspect it was resolved by a Windows 10 update, and that it was caused by an earlier update. However I haven't seen any confirmation on the Microsoft forums.