2nd Hard Drive bay high temperature. Ph517-7

Options
FuraiChicken
FuraiChicken Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I recently installed a Samsung 970 Evo+ 1Tb into my second m.2 bay and noticed right from the get go that the temps under load were hitting over 80-85c under load. I'm still in the process of installing the proper drivers due to the fact that I can't enable ACHI mode due to RST being enabled and my OS drive won't be recognized. So I guess this is a two part issue. Any recommendations? I'm currently on a using the Ph517-71 Intel i7 8750h, with the GTX 1070.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,026 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hello,

I recently installed a Samsung 970 Evo+ 1Tb into my second m.2 bay and noticed right from the get go that the temps under load were hitting over 80-85c under load. I'm still in the process of installing the proper drivers due to the fact that I can't enable ACHI mode due to RST being enabled and my OS drive won't be recognized. So I guess this is a two part issue. Any recommendations? I'm currently on a using the Ph517-71 Intel i7 8750h, with the GTX 1070.

That's impossible as SSD's have no moving parts and they dont strain your system like spinner HDD's they run 100% cooler, it must be something else. With the Intel RTS, uninstall or disable the Intel RTS, as it won’t have any effect on your OS drive, then enable “TRIM” in Win-10 (see here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance) as that enables “TRIM” for all your drives as that works just the same but its more universal, simple. After that AHCI should be enabled automatically once you reboot, if its not then have a look at these guides “Enable AHCI in Windows 10” here: https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/enable-ahci-bios/ 

Btw, I’ve had “TRIM” enabled for years on my SSD drives and it improved the speed of my Samsung SSD considerably, I’ve been using “TRIM” for years. Good luck and hope this helps.  

• FuraiChicken

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    Hello,

That's impossible as SSD's have no moving parts and they dont strain your system like spinner HDD's they run 100% cooler, it must be something else. With the Intel RTS, uninstall or disable the Intel RTS, as it won’t have any effect on your OS drive, then enable “TRIM” in Win-10 (see here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance) as that enables “TRIM” for all your drives as that works just the same but its more universal, simple. After that AHCI should be enabled automatically once you reboot, if its not then have a look at these guides “Enable AHCI in Windows 10” here: https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/enable-ahci-bios/ 

Btw, I’ve had “TRIM” enabled for years on my SSD drives and it improved the speed of my Samsung SSD considerably, I’ve been using “TRIM” for years. Good luck and hope this helps.  

Thank you for your reply.

While I was installing a game via Steam/Origins I noticed a lot of heat under my left hand *Where the drive bays are.* After the game had finished installing the temps were hoovering around 60-70c on idle. I opened up HWinfo 64 and saw my temps spiking to the 80-85c as previously mentioned. Ironically after installing some Win10 updates it seems my drive went back down to the 50-60c range.

However going back to your recommendation, TRIM is enabled I am getting the max speeds out my my drives however I cannot install Samsung's NVME driver and software *Samsung Magician.* After a brief Google search some people were reporting that AHCI needs to be enable to have your "system" detect the drive and allow the updates/software to work.

Lastly, I've tried to follow the steps to enable ACHI in the bios and it just gets me into a bootloop. I've disabled secure boot just to be sure, also left both sata ports enabled.
  • FuraiChicken

Tinkerer

Options
    Can I get a bump.