(Power limit Throttling) Throttlestop setting for Helios 300 PH315-53-72E9 (2020)

Redomic
Redomic Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2020 in Predator Laptops
To preface this, this laptop already has severe throttling issues from the get go. It was running 1.01v so I was able to underclock it to -110mv and limit turbo, it was running fine at max 75 degrees under load. Until a week later where it started to power throttle at even 60 degrees randomly, would mostly happen after 30ish minutes even when playing very low-end games like Valorant. Seriously done with this thing, should've just returned this garbage, but oh well, the period is over and I can't get my money back

Can someone help me with this Power throttling issue? Or give me suggestions on what I am doing wrong with my settings?

P.S. HAHA, just realized, my laptop updated itself to 1.07v and now it's overvolted. My settings don't work anymore and it's back to thermal throttling. (This just happend by the way, nothing related to the power throttling issue) Never buying Acer again. Someone people get me out of this hell.

Specs:
Predator Helios 300 PH315-53-72E9 (Trash tier, never buy)
i7 10750H
RTX 2060

Answers

• unclewebb
    unclewebb Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    When the ThrottleStop FIVR window shows FIVR Control - Locked, there is nothing you can do. Try to install the previous BIOS. 

The person at Acer that thinks an Intel CPU needs a +50 mV over volt needs to be fired. An Intel CPU with a locked multiplier never requires extra voltage. Intel always includes additional voltage to ensure long term stability. Adding more voltage on top of this, especially in a laptop, is dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • Redomic
    Redomic Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

unclewebb said:
    When the ThrottleStop FIVR window shows FIVR Control - Locked, there is nothing you can do. Try to install the previous BIOS. 

The person at Acer that thinks an Intel CPU needs a +50 mV over volt needs to be fired. An Intel CPU with a locked multiplier never requires extra voltage. Intel always includes additional voltage to ensure long term stability. Adding more voltage on top of this, especially in a laptop, is dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Hilariously, I never went above 75 degrees with only a 15%ish performance impact. Now I can't run anything other than Minecraft. Acer is probably one of the worst companies I've experienced. 
  • corvusthegenius
    corvusthegenius Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    acer launched bios 1.08 which removes that positive offset value. but I did downgrade to bios 1.06 cos I love my undervolting.
  • kaman6032
    kaman6032 Member Posts: 1 New User
    acer launched bios 1.08 which removes that positive offset value. but I did downgrade to bios 1.06 cos I love my undervolting.
    How to downgrade
  • dmqz
    dmqz Member Posts: 6 New User

i have the same problem, did you know how to fix it ?