Maximum RAM- Acer Aspire A315

AnthonyMooreDevices
AnthonyMooreDevices Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2020 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer Aspire A315-23-A8GY and I've seen many spec sheets that indicate it can take a maximum of 12GB of RAM but there's only one slot that's populated by the 4GB RAM module it comes with. There doesn't seem to be any soldered on RAM and Windows reads 4.00GB (with a certain amount free). I know there are no 12GB DDR4 SODIMM sticks of RAM so does this mean I'll just have to settle for an 8GB or will putting a 16GB module in the slot work with 4GB disabled? Any help is appreciated!

Edited the topic to add model number
Acer-Erick

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,769 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, some identical mainboards have been known to ship without RAM installed on the mainboard's solderable socket on the other side of the mai nboard. While others ship  with the soldered RAM installed but are missing the replaceable RAM socket (different models that use the same mainboard.) All these identical mainboards show two RAM sockets but obviously can't be configured identically.

I'm gonna guess that your BIOS might accept a 16GB DDR4 sodimm 2667MHz or higher frequency in the replaceable socket. It might even recognize the whole 16GB even though the original specsheet says 12GB. Production changes could account for this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    It has one unreplaceable RAM socket with 4GB dual channel DDR4 module soldered to it. And it has one replaceable RAM socket which will take up to an 8GB dual channel DDR4 module for maximum 12GB RAM  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AnthonyMooreDevices
    JackE said:
    It has one unreplaceable RAM socket with 4GB dual channel DDR4 module soldered to it. And it has one replaceable RAM socket which will take up to an 8GB dual channel DDR4 module for maximum 12GB RAM  Jack E/NJ
    This is what I see, is that SKHynix module not removeable? Where is the other slot then?
  • JackE
    4GB module NOT removable. It's soldered to the other topside of the mainboard. You can add up to one 8GB DDR4 sodimm to the replaceable socket on the bottom side of the mainboard that you have pictured. Max RAM accepted by the BIOS is 4GBsoldered + 8GBreplaceable = 12GB. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AnthonyMooreDevices
    JackE said:
    4GB module NOT removable. It's soldered to the other topside of the mainboard. You can add up to one 8GB DDR4 sodimm to the replaceable socket on the bottom side of the mainboard that you have pictured. Max RAM accepted by the BIOS is 4GBsoldered + 8GBreplaceable = 12GB. Jack E/NJ

This laptop must not have any soldered RAM, otherwise it should show that I have 8GB in Windows because of the module already in the replaceable slot, and when I remove the SK Hynix 4GB Module, it would still run, but once removed it does not. I just removed it and the screen stays black, then I turn it off and put the module back in, and I have My original 4GB. Odd, it shows that 1 of 2 slots are filled in the task manager...
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, some identical mainboards have been known to ship without RAM installed on the mainboard's solderable socket on the other side of the mai nboard. While others ship  with the soldered RAM installed but are missing the replaceable RAM socket (different models that use the same mainboard.) All these identical mainboards show two RAM sockets but obviously can't be configured identically.

I'm gonna guess that your BIOS might accept a 16GB DDR4 sodimm 2667MHz or higher frequency in the replaceable socket. It might even recognize the whole 16GB even though the original specsheet says 12GB. Production changes could account for this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AnthonyMooreDevices
    JackE said:

I just want to wrap this thread up and say that it does take a 16GB module. I purchased an 8 and a 16GB module and I decided to put the 16GB in to see if it works and it does. Windows says I have 16.00GB of RAM, 13.9GB Useable, awesome! I will be returning the 8GB module since I didn't open the package it came in.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. 2GB for the Windows system. 14GB for your own use. Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SickAshWhiteBoy23
    SickAshWhiteBoy23 Member Posts: 3 New User

WRONG….AND ALSO. THE WRONG INFORMATION WHEN ASKING FOR HELP IS GOING TO CAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE TO BE UPSET WHEN THEY PURCHACE PARTS THAT ARE NOT COMPATABLE WITH THIS SYSTEM. AS I HAVE EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS A315-23-A8GY SERIES LAPTOPS! IT COMES FACTORY OUT OF THE BOX WITH 4GB OF RAM AND 128GB SSD M.2 DRIVE ALSO AN EMPTY 2.5" SATA DRIVE BAY! WITH THE RIGHT CONNECTOR YOU CAN ADD THE 2.5" SSD/HDD UP TO 4TB+ YOU CAN BUY A 16GB SODIMM RAM COMPATABLE WITH ACER 23 SERIES LAPTOPS AND IT WILL WORK FINE JUST TEAR IT DOWN REPLACE THE RAM AND IT WILL WORK JUST FINE!
    HOWEVER WHEN YOU INSTALL ANY m.2 DRIVE BESIDES THE 128GB FACTORY DRIVE INCLUDED WITH THE MACHINE, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE "NO BOOTABLE DRIVE"
    TO FIX THIS, CLONE THE OLD 128GB DRIVE TO THE NEW M.2 DRIVE USING ANY MACRIUM REFLECT OR EVEN AOMEI PARTITION ASSITANT BOTH HAVING TO PAY FOR

BTW IM USING THE A8GY RIGHT NOW TO TYPE THESE COMMENTS AFTER ITS BEEN UPGRADED!

• JackE
    edited October 2023

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/AnthonyMooreDevices > I just want to wrap this thread up and say that it does take a 16GB module.>

I'm gonna guess that your BIOS might accept a 16GB DDR4 sodimm 2667MHz
    or higher frequency in the replaceable socket. It might even recognize
    the whole 16GB even though the original specsheet says 12GB. Production
    changes could account for this. Jack E/NJ

Thank you for confirming what the OP already found out about this particular sub-model.

Jack E/NJ