Black screen after linux installation

AsadoyFernet
AsadoyFernet Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I have an Aspire 9424WSMi and I try to install linux essentials. After the installation, reboot only show a black screen... No Acer logo, no information, nothing. I've try to press F2 to access the BIOS, disconnect the battery and power without changes. 

Answers

• AsadoyFernet
    Hello, I have an Aspire 9424WSMi and I try to install linux essentials. After the installation, reboot only show a black screen... No Acer logo, no information, nothing. I've try to press F2 to access the BIOS, disconnect the battery and power without changes. 
    Sorry, the OS is 'Elementary OS'. Not essentials.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yeah, Grub can screw things up pretty easily. IIRC Elementary OS uses UEFI just like most modern OSes. Your system though came originally with Windows XP or Windows Vista. That means it doesn't support UEFI. My first guess is that EOS tried to install UEFI which changed the drive from MBR to GPT, and the legacy boot doesn't know what to do with that. You ought to be able to get into the BIOS by mashing F2 from powerup to the failure several times until you hit that tiny window before Grub tries to take over. There should be an install mode that let's you choose legacy once you get it booting on the install image again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AsadoyFernet
    Update: Change the OS to Bodhi to see if EOS was the problem. Same... All black.
    Then I plugged an external monitor and all works, the notebook display and the external monitor... Both show image.
  • AsadoyFernet
    billsey said:
    Yeah, Grub can screw things up pretty easily. IIRC Elementary OS uses UEFI just like most modern OSes. Your system though came originally with Windows XP or Windows Vista. That means it doesn't support UEFI. My first guess is that EOS tried to install UEFI which changed the drive from MBR to GPT, and the legacy boot doesn't know what to do with that. You ought to be able to get into the BIOS by mashing F2 from powerup to the failure several times until you hit that tiny window before Grub tries to take over. There should be an install mode that let's you choose legacy once you get it booting on the install image again.
    I'll try to do that and I hope find the 'install mode'. Thanks for the response!