Acer Aspire 5

Options
HelenC
HelenC Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

"Since I purchased my Acer Aspire 5 in January of this year I find when I visit various sites it looks as if the content has been stretched, sometimes things are illegible with text boxes sitting on top of other content. I still use the same sites I've always used and this wasn't happening with my old machine (an older Acer Aspire). I'm not very knowledgeable on computers I'm afraid so I'm hoping there's an easy fix to this."

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,696 Trailblazer
    Options
    What browser are you using? InternetExplorer? Edge? FireFox? Chrome? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi JackE, thanks for replying.  It's Chrome browser - windows 10 system.
  • JackE
    Options
    Does InternetExplorer behave the same way? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    I haven't tried any other browser, when I upgraded my last laptop to windows 10 they recommended Chrome so I've just stayed with that.  I'll try Internet Explorer now. 
  • HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Aaahhh, Internet Explorer isn't on my desktop so I don't know how to do that..............
  • JackE
    Options
    Click on the spyglass search icon on the bottom of your screen. Enter internet explorer. The InternetExplorer app should pop up. Click on it to start InternetExplorer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Got this  -

Some websites no longer support Internet Explorer. Microsoft recommends using the new Microsoft Edge for a fast, secure, and modern web experience.

Microsoft Internet Explorer icon arrow Microsoft Edge icon
  • JackE
    Options
    Click internet explorer anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Oh I give up, now when I click on Internet Explorer I'm being taken into MSN, should that happen?
  • JackE
    Options
    No. Try this. Enter Internet Explorer again in the spyglass search. Right click on the Internet Explorer app that pops up. Click pin to taskbar. Then click on the Internet Explorer icon in the bottom taskbar. The Internet Explorer  icon looks like the image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• KunJanos
    KunJanos Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Using Chrome, open up chrome://settings/ in the browser and search for Use hardware acceleration when available
    See if disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" improves sites for you. If it's not fixing your issue, don't forget to enable it back
  • HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack, opening from the taskbar took me straight into MSN again. Thanks for all your help I really am hopeless at IT.
  • HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    KunJanos, thanks for your reply - disabling "use hardware acceleration when available" didn't help either.  I enabled it back.
  • HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE and KunJanos, I think it's sorted.  I used Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome and everything is sitting where it should be.  Thanks so much guys, I would never have thought of the browser (what's a browser????) I thought it was something I had done in setting up the laptop.  Your help is much appreciated.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good for you. You can still use InternetExplorer even though the homepage goes to msn. You can set any homepage you want with InternetExplorer and its interface and operation are more like the Chrome browser than Edge. But the choice is yours.  Good luck  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HelenC

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks Jack, I won't push my luck at this point, I'll leave it while it's working ok.  Regards