Adding SSD M.2 disk on Predator Orion 3000-620

Vegard
Vegard Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

my M2_1 slot has a 512GB SSD disk installed. The M2_2 slot is occupied with a WiFi card. Can I remove the WiFi card, use wired net instead, and use this slot for another 1TB SSD disk?

Answers

• Vegard
    WiFi card slot
  • Vegard
    SSD disk
  • Gressex1
    Gressex1 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Hmmm.  But there wouldn't be a securing screw for the new SSD?  And you would have to insulate it to prevent it shorting-out by touching motherboard components that it covers - and without causing it to overheat?   Personally I find SSDs great for boot-up (i.e the OS and utils, for which I find 256GB is sufficient) and for anything else I make do with a traditional HDD.  You might want to look at the option of fitting a hybrid HDD which contain an SSD element. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Nope, they have different tabs and aren't compatible with each other. The M.2 slot for the WiFi card will only work with WiFi cards.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vegard
    Why? The SSD disk also use M.2 standard, so how come the motherboard can only take WiFi in this slot?
  • billsey
    edited November 2020
    M.2 has different configurations for different uses. SSDs use the B or M configuration to differentiate between x2 and x4 PCIe buses, WiFi/Bluetooth cards use A and E. M.2 specs A through M but those four are really the only ones used widely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vegard
    Hi,

Im about to buy a 2.5” SSD disk to upgrade my computer. However, when I look inside the cabinet, there are no spare power cables from my PSU. On the motherboard it says HDDPWR next to the SATA ports, which I assume is a power plug. But I cannot seem to find this cable anywhere. Is this some proprietary standard? How should I best power my SSD disk?
  • Vegard
    Hi,

I cannot find any spare power cables on my new predator. Does the PS really use all the power cables? And are there really no SATA power cables from the PS? I’m looking to add a 2.5 SATA drive.

• billsey
    The Acer part number for that cable (MB connector to two SATA power) is: 50.E1ZD1.002. There are two different standards for SATA power connectors on the motherboard, and Acer seems to have chosen the inline connectors instead of the 2x2.
  • betscharts
    betscharts Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    If I want to install 2 new ssds or hdds in my empty bays do I need one or two of these Acer power cables?
  • billsey
    That cable has two SATA power connectors, so can be used to power two drives.