Verifying compatibility for A515-41G-19BF on M.2 SSD installation

marseluca
marseluca Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi guys,
I don't know how to make sure if I can install an M.2 SSD on my laptop.
I found something on internet but nothing about my exact model (A515-41G-19BF). So I'm making this post because I want to be 100% sure before buying an M2.
There is a slot on the board for it, but I read that the only presence of the slot is not enough to guarantee the compatibility with the laptop. Therefore, I would like to know if it's compatible, which models are, and, moreover, if I can install an NVMe or if I necessarily need a SATA one. 
Thank you a lot for your effort, hope that the question wasn't already posted but as you surely have noticed, I'm not an expert and didn't found anything about this exact model.
Luca.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You have M.2 SATA SSD support in this model, so M.2 NVMe SSDs will not work in this model.
  • marseluca
    edited November 2020
    Hi,
    You have M.2 SATA SSD support in this model, so M.2 NVMe SSDs will not work in this model.
    Thank you for your answer,
    So can I install any model of M.2 SATA SSD? Or do I have to check the compatibilty for some specific models (except for the length of the memory compared to that of the slot)? if so, How could I check for the compatibility?
  • No problem, yes you can install any M.2 SATA SSD in the slot, as you already have a 1TB HDD in your laptop, you can get a 256GB or a 500GB M.2 SATA SSD and install, clone your HDD to it and use as a boot drive, you can use the HDD for additional storage.
  • marseluca
    Hi all, today I mounted my M2 SATA SSD (Kingston 240gb) but neither the BIOS, file explorer and disk management can read it. 
    I'm sure it's mounted correctly because there's the bottom screw which fixes it to the board. 
    This is the one I mounted on my A515-41G-19BF. What can I do?

• marseluca
    marseluca said:
    Hi all, today I mounted my M2 SATA SSD (Kingston 240gb) but neither the BIOS, file explorer and disk management can read it. 
    I'm sure it's mounted correctly because there's the bottom screw which fixes it to the board. 

Solved, I didn't mount it correctly. I can't delete this comment from my phone
  • marseluca said:
    marseluca said:

Solved, I didn't mount it correctly. I can't delete this comment from my phone
    Thanks for posting the outcome  :)