Upgrading My Acer Aspire 1 A115-31-C2Y3 Storage B 2.5 Inch SATA Internal SSD. Is this possible?

RileyGreene
RileyGreene Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2023 in Aspire Laptops
My Acer Aspire 1 A115-31 came with only 30 GB of usuable storage and I would like to upgrade it using a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA Internal SSD. Is this possible?
[Edited the thread to add issue  detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    Absolutely. You should be able to add any 2.5" SSD up to about 2TB capacity with no issues. You also have the option of replacing and migrating the 128 GB m.2 SATA card with up to a 2TB m.2 SATA card. Many upgrade options available for your machine. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    Larry347 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Jack, can you be a bit more specific on your methods of upgrading.  Maybe a picture of the layout of components...

Larry
  • JackE
    You must remove the bottom cover and internal battery to access the 2.5" HDD/SSD connector and the m.2 SSD card connector.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    Thanks, but I do not have that model I guess, A115-32.  This is what I have and I suspect the m2 ssd is under the battery and mother board but would like to know before disassembly.  I'll get an image with the battery removed. 
  • JackE
    For a side by side comparision with the mainboard, here is your photo flipped so you can  better  see where the SSD socket and SSD card hold down screw are located.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    Thanks again and I apologize for getting my information wrong.  I will take a look after the dentist appointment.  No wonder I didn't see it being all covered with black plastic.  Does the battery need to be removed to access the SSD?
  • JackE
    You should at least disconnect the battery from the mainboard when messing around inside. It's a bit tight inside where the m.2 card must be installed. If it was mine, I'd remove the two screws holding the battery down and remove it just to be on the safe side.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    I removed the battery when exploring for the SSD so isn't a problem.  I am now looking to purchase at least a 1TB drive.  What do you recommend?  I was noticing the gen4 or gen3 being available.  Does it matter? 

Thanks again for your help, Larry
  • JackE
    Safest choice is Gen3. I recommend the WesternDigital Blue Series NVME card for this machine. Up to 2TB.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    My WD Blue SDD came today and I disassembled my laptop and yikes, I discovered that the location you identified as the SDD was actually empty.  What do I do now?  Is it possible that the SDD is on the mother board? 
  • JackE
    >>>>I removed the battery when exploring for the SSD so isn't a problem.>>>
    >>> I disassembled my laptop and yikes,>>>
    >>>What do I do now?>>>

Aye!! I thought you actually saw m.2 SSD socket before?

What you should do now is (1) immediately return the m.2 card to the vendor for a refund. (2) confirm that a 2.5" SSD mainboard socket actually exist before considering a 2.5" SSD option. Refer to the mainboard image below.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    I though that I had seen the connector and was excited about getting this thing upgraded.  Anyway, here is a pic of the HDD connector.  Is it not there or maybe on the lower side of the mother board (which I doubt)? 

• JackE
    Sorry, you apparently have a barebones production mainboard meant for budget a115-31 series that are sometimes sold as 'cloudbooks'. That's because storage is supposed to rely more on web 'cloud' storage services like onedrive and googledrive than local storage. The only option for local storage is via the USB ports either through a USB pendrive or with inexpensive USB-to-m2 card or USB-to-SSD/HDD adapters like those shown below. The one on the left should allow you to use the WesternDigital card you bought. The one on the right should allow a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    Sad to say I think you are right.  It was cheap but aside from the limited storage it does a great job.  I currently use shared storage on an old Toshiba with display and keyboard issues but if I leave home I lose that access.  I think I will get the adapter and use the drives external.

Thanks for helping me through this...
  • JackE
    The other option in your situation is a USB3 stick. They are much more portable and capacities have recently gotten huge. I'm not sure how reliable they are but may be worth a try for the price.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    I bought the M.2 case for my 1TB Western Dig SSDs and with some difficulty got them working. 

So now I have another problem and don't seem to find an answer in other threads.  My wife tripped over the power cord and now it does not plug into the little hole nor will my power source plug in.  Where can I find the PNs for this connector?  Amazon has like a bazillion listed...
  • JackE
    >>>bazillion>>>

I only found a hundred with free shipping. Search amazon  "a115-31" "charger". Click 'eligible for free shipping'. Pick the cheapest charger you can find that has "a115-31" in the description. It'll fit many different ACER models.

Jack E/NJ

• Larry347
    Thanks, I got them and now my laptop is working but the one that got kicked will not accept the plug so looking to replace the plug on the mother board or the mother board since I am not a great at souldering.  Mother board is NB8609_PCB_MB_V5 available on Ebay... but I am not sure about doing that... suggestions? 

Or I could just buy another A115-31?
  • workingjet20
    workingjet20 Member Posts: 1 New User

@Larry347

Good morning my friend, I have to ask. Where did you buy your M2 case for your SSD?

My best greetings. 👍

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,520 Trailblazer

This thread is almost 2 years old, and the topic is for Acer Aspire 1 A115-31, to avoid confusion and get faster response I recommend starting a new thread with your full model laptop.