CPU cooler upgrade for Orion 3000 p03-620 Desktop

Options
Gressex1
Gressex1 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Anyone upgrade the CPU cooler on this PC?  Yes, me!   Was getting 88-99C playing racing sims with dynamic or ultra video settings. Now with newly fitted "Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler" (£37 from Amazon UK) I have not seen the CPU go above 67C!   Was it hard to fit?  Yes, but it didn't need to be!  I struggled to remove the motherboard as instructs stated that it needed to be removed to fit the supplied new bracket from the back of the motherboard.  In reality the supplied bracket did not fit as there is already a similar one on fitted by Acer!  Basically all I had to do was remove the old cooler from the top (4 screws and one connector), clean the top of the CPU of old thermal paste, fit the supplied curved brackets for the new cooler on top of the existing stand-offs after first dropping a supplied black spacer over each of them. None of the supplied screws worked so I had to rummage around my shed for 4 suitable replacements. I don't know their exact size, possible M4, about 10-15mm (or 70 to 100% the height of the stand-offs), pan headed. Just make sure screws are long enough to secure the bracket but not so long that they protrude through the bottom of the motherboard. Head clearance is not an issue so I guess small bolts instead of screws would work. Then I added a 'pea' of new thermal paste and screwed the new cooler down evenly and firmly. The connector was then plugged into the old motherboard cooler connector after first inserting the inline noise reduction cable.  Job done. 
As for orientation of the cooler, I went for having the heat pipes coming out at right-angles to the memory cards.
I didn't use the supplied thermal paste, instead I paid £15 for Artic 5 thermal paste and cleaning solution kit.
Disclaimer: Do this mod at your own risk. Mod may void your warranty. Take anti-static precautions. Buy or use decent CPU cleaner.
Hope this helps somebody else.
Why was my CPU running so hot?  Underspec'd?  Badly fitted - it had a lot of thermal paste under it!?  Who knows  I should not have needed this mode but that's life.