Best way to rollback to NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 417.01 ?

Options
bdumaguina
bdumaguina Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Particularly for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 for Predator Helios 500. Looking to roll back all that way to this version. I'm not able to download said driver also - I can search through Nvidia website, but clicking on Download does nothing for me. I'm experiencing lag even for 1080p video playback on VLC. I'm currently on 445.87 released April 15, 2020. The latest 457.09 released October 29, 2020 is also not doing it for me (in fact it's problematic - it divides the display into 4 quadrants - and displays only on the upper left quadrant - in case you're interested - 55 second mark - https://youtu.be/qcCDI6m-Ipo). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• AZZIZ
    AZZIZ Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    You can't get into windows ever??
  • bdumaguina

Tinkerer

Options
    AZZIZ said:
    You can't get into windows ever??
    What I do is Windows Key + F10 to enter "Boot Options" I think is what it's called - and then I go for System Restore - and Restore it to a point BEFORE I installed the NVIDIA update. There have been a few updates already after Version 445.87 - I've tried all of them (including the latest 457.09 released October 29, 2020) and I get the same error. So I've been using Version 445.87 for a while - and experiencing this lag at VLC (which I think is crazy, because the system SHOULD be able to handle playback of a 1080p video/movie file). So I'm looking for the "correct" way to roll back to what I've read is a stable driver - do I just install the 417.01? So I use DDU first (Display Driver Uninstaller)? Trying NOT to go for the clean re-install of Windows 10 path.
  • AZZIZ
    Options
    if the issue only in vlc maybe its a app issue and maybe tinker some settings I don't know really..
    id highly recommend using CMP anyway. I think yea if somehow you can boot into safe mode and DDU your driver in offline mode so windows doesn't install em automatically
  • bdumaguina

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    Options
    AZZIZ said:
    if the issue only in vlc maybe its a app issue and maybe tinker some settings I don't know really..
    id highly recommend using CMP anyway. I think yea if somehow you can boot into safe mode and DDU your driver in offline mode so windows doesn't install em automatically
    Thanks for the reco man - you mean MPC right? Media Player Classic? I get laggy playback from that too. I'll look into it again. I've been a long time user of VLC, and I have looked into modifying the settings to check if something is amiss. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • AZZIZ
    Options
    AZZIZ said:
    Thanks for the reco man - you mean MPC right? Media Player Classic? I get laggy playback from that too. I'll look into it again. I've been a long time user of VLC, and I have looked into modifying the settings to check if something is amiss. But thanks for the suggestion.
    yea im sure you did, ok how about you try DDU your drivers then try the nvidia driver provided by acer ( the one in the support page/Drivers)
    If the issue is gone then its 100% a driver issue
  • bdumaguina

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Happy to report that things are looking good. Decided to go for a clean install using DDU first and then installing the old 417.01 NVIDIA Driver for Windows 10 64-bit.

Followed the DDU Guide here - the official developer. (my first time to do this)
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

Along with this YouTube guide for verification
    https://youtu.be/Hhiqg-UusE4

Softpedia I found was the only provider left hosting the old driver (NVIDIA 417.01)
    https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-Driver-417-01-for-Windows-10-64-bit.shtml

After a clean install, VLC is not lagging anymore! So far.... 
    So for now, I'm not updating as of yet.