A315-56-594W

Does it have an m.2 SSD?  If not which does

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You have 4GB onboard memory and a slot for the upgrade, you can install a DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM module up to 16GB in the slot to make the total memory of 20GB(4GB onboard+16GB), you can also install a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 1TB.
    Acer Aspire A315-56 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
  • jrfishtx
    jrfishtx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    brummyfan2, Where are you getting this information?  Not doubting you at all, just need a little help on mine.  When I call Acer support and give them my SNID for my A315-56-594W, they tell me that it is only upgradable to 12GB (4GB onboard + 8GB in the slot).  Also installed a PNY 8GB stick that I was told by several sources was compatible but my screen stays black although the power button indicates the laptop is on...  I guess I need more than a little help.  I know just enough to be dangerous!! 
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    jrfishtx said:
    brummyfan2, Where are you getting this information?  Not doubting you at all, just need a little help on mine.  When I call Acer support and give them my SNID for my A315-56-594W, they tell me that it is only upgradable to 12GB (4GB onboard + 8GB in the slot).  Also installed a PNY 8GB stick that I was told by several sources was compatible but my screen stays black although the power button indicates the laptop is on...  I guess I need more than a little help.  I know just enough to be dangerous!! 
    Hi,
    I don't know the reason for the PNY 8GB not working, you have to start a new thread so that others will see your post and respond, as for the maximum memory, most of the memory upgrade sites state the maximum memory as 20GB but I couldn't find anyone upgraded to 20GB.
    Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire a3 | Aspire A315-56 | Crucial UK
    Acer Aspire Notebook A315-56-55DR Memory RAM Upgrades - FREE Delivery & Guaranteed Compatible | Mr Memory®
    Aspire A315-56 Laptop RAM Memory Upgrades (offtek.co.uk)

• jrfishtx
    jrfishtx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    brummyfan2
    Where are you getting this information?  Not doubting you at all, just need a little help on mine.  When I call Acer support and give them my SNID for my A315-56-594W, they tell me that it is only upgradable to 12GB (4GB onboard + 8GB in the slot).  Also installed a PNY 8GB stick that I was told by several sources was compatible but my screen stays black although the power button indicates the laptop is on...  I guess I need more than a little help.  I know just enough to be dangerous!! 
  • Old_PC_Guy
    Old_PC_Guy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    What is upgradable on the Acer Aspire 3 
    Particarly the 

A315-56-594W

Yes, it has an NVMe M.2 slot. It also has a SATA connector, w/ mounting brackets, on a thin ribbon that can be used for a 2.5" HDD or SSD. I recently upgraded the factory installed 256gb Kingston NVMe gen3 x4 SSD to a 2tb TeamGroup MP33 Pro NVMe gen3 x4 one. I partitioned the "extra" 1.3tb unformatted drive space into a logical D: drive using the Mini-tool partition wizard (9.1, free) to live boot copy (reboots the system in order to copy otherwise active C: drive Win. sys. files), and create the partitions.
    (Note: Mini-tool Partition Wizard's newest freeware does not provide unlimited use of all features available in older 9.1 free version.)
  • Old_PC_Guy

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    You have 4GB onboard memory and a slot for the upgrade, you can install a DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM module up to 16GB in the slot to make the total memory of 20GB(4GB onboard+16GB), you can also install a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 1TB.

Huh? The question was if the system came w/ an M.2 SSD - not about RAM or, *if* there was an M.2 (NVMe) slot to ADD an SSD card to.
    BTW - I upgraded, (replacing the factory installed Kingston 256gb M.2 SSD card), on my Aspire 3 A315-56-594W with a 2tb NVMe gen3 x4, M.2, SSD card - w/ out any issues; (no 1tb limitation.) Passmark benchmarking software rated it, (TeamGroup MP33 Pro) in the 88th percentile HD ranking, with a score of over 22k.
  • brummyfan2
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi,

Huh? The question was if the system came w/ an M.2 SSD - not about RAM or, *if* there was an M.2 (NVMe) slot to ADD an SSD card to.
    BTW - I upgraded, (replacing the factory installed Kingston 256gb M.2 SSD card), on my Aspire 3 A315-56-594W with a 2tb NVMe gen3 x4, M.2, SSD card - w/ out any issues; (no 1tb limitation.) Passmark benchmarking software rated it, (TeamGroup MP33 Pro) in the 88th percentile HD ranking, with a score of over 22k.
    Hi,
    Did you read my reply? Did you read the last line in my reply? Original question asked by the poster was "What is upgradable in Aspire 3"
  • Old_PC_Guy

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

Sorry 'bout that, chief! I re-read the question and, it was on general upgrading - with an added emphasis on the M.2 SSD, whether it had one or not. Your answer was on point, except that I have upgraded to the 2tb M.2 SSD card I installed on this A315-56-594W I'm using to make this post... It obviously works.
    The first partitions were exact copied, (not "fitted to new drive.") After the copying completed and the system rebooted, I shut it down to pull the SATA III drive I cloned from the Kingston M.2 for the transfer, (since there is only one M.2 SSD slot). When I rebooted into windows using the newly installed , I used the partitioning software to expand the C: drive to 560gb and create a ~1.3tb logical drive after it, in making the full formatted capacity available for use.

Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Free 9.1 is a very easy to use freeware.... Just don't update it!
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry 'bout that, chief! I re-read the question and, it was on general upgrading - with an added emphasis on the M.2 SSD, whether it had one or not. Your answer was on point, except that I have upgraded to the 2tb M.2 SSD card I installed on this A315-56-594W I'm using to make this post... It obviously works.
    The first partitions were exact copied, (not "fitted to new drive.") After the copying completed and the system rebooted, I shut it down to pull the SATA III drive I cloned from the Kingston M.2 for the transfer, (since there is only one M.2 SSD slot). When I rebooted into windows using the newly installed , I used the partitioning software to expand the C: drive to 560gb and create a ~1.3tb logical drive after it, in making the full formatted capacity available for use.

Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Free 9.1 is a very easy to use freeware.... Just don't update it!
    No problem, I always try to suggest confirmed upgrades regarding storage to be on the safe side, anyway, glad you got a 2TB SSD working for you in this model :)
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    What is upgradable on the Acer Aspire 3 
    Particarly the 

A315-56-594W

Whatever all of you have been told and that applies as jrfishtx is saying and what MaxEnergy1 is asking as these are the memory configurations and specs of your Aspire 3 A315-56-594W from the service manual, it’s a very simple and straight forward setup and specs for memory and M.2 SSD’s which are the type PCIe Gen3x2, 8Gbits/s of these specs:

Solid-State Drives

• Old_PC_Guy

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

Sorry 'bout that, chief! I re-read the question and, it was on general upgrading - with an added emphasis on the M.2 SSD, whether it had one or not. Your answer was on point, except that I have the upgraded to the 2tb M.2 SSD card I installed on this A315-56-594W I'm using to make this post... It obviously works.
    The first partitions were exact copied, (not "fitted to new drive.") After the copying completed and the system rebooted. I shut it down to pull the SATA III drive I cloned from the Kingston M.2 for the transfer, (since there is only one M.2 SSD slot). Wnen I rebooted into windows, I used the partitioning software to expand the C: drive to 560gb and create a ~1.3tb logical drive after it, in making the full formatted capacity available for use.

• Old_PC_Guy

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

The first partitions were exact copied, (not "fitted to new drive.") After the copying completed and the system rebooted, I shut it down to pull the SATA III drive I cloned from the Kingston M.2 for the transfer, (since there is only one M.2 SSD slot). When I rebooted into windows using the newly installed NVMe M.2 SSD card, I used the partitioning software to expand the C: drive to 560gb and create a ~1.3tb logical drive after it, in making the full formatted capacity available for use.