CPU fan not working as it should? - Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600

overheat
overheat Member Posts: 9 New User
edited January 2021 in Predator Desktops
Model: Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600
Part number: DGE1CEQ00801XXXXX
i7 9700
RTX 2060 SUPER, +175 MHz core clock, +800 mem clock, but it is stable and this issue occurred before the OC

So a while back, (3 weeks or so) I realized that my CPU temperatures were quite high, even with what I thought were quite low-resource tasks. The fans weren't running at all, pretty much which also concerned me. I booted into BIOS and turned off Smart Fan, which while it did help, when running tasks like virus-scanning the CPU would go beyond 80 degrees C and then thermal throttle down to 4 GHz, give or take a hundred MHz. This was with the fan running at its highest speed (4500 RPM).

However, because it didn't significantly impact my daily activities, I let it slide. But I still wanted to fix it, and having that fan running at max speed was a little bit annoying because of the noise. I downloaded a third-party program called Argus Monitor to monitor my CPU, GPU and fans, but mostly for fan control. I made a curve, which works quite well, for the System 1 and 2 fans. I also noticed that the CPU fan was detected at 0 RPM, along with the "SYS_FAN3_PUMP" and "CPU_OPT". When I tried to control them, nothing happened, and using the BIOS settings nothing happened either.

Is this normal and are the only fans the Sys 1 and 2 fans, despite that the program could read and "control" the other fans? Help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the messy post, English isn't my first language :p

Edited the content to hide sensitive information

Answers

• giorgi1911
    giorgi1911 Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited October 2020
    replace your fan quick. if the temperatues are too high your pc will fry in any moment. it also throdles your cpu whitch it helps to drop the temeratures. but while it is doing that, you are gonna have the worst perfnomance ever. this includes lag while playing, scrolling...
    so. do not risk it. your PC might fry at any moment. and that fan will probably stop any minute. if it does. your temperatures will go over 100celcius and the risk your pc is gonna fry is 100%
  • overheat
    edited October 2020
    The temperatures are fine. The CPU isn't even capable of frying itself with the thermal throttling function and 100 celsius cap turning it off, and it barely ever gets that high because I'm not doing high resource tasks most of the time anyway. Besides, if my fan was faulty, wouldn't I get warranty? This PC is only a few months old.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Your numbers are likely not far off the spec, though it's always nicer to have quieter fans. The motherboard supports two fans, the CPU fan and a System fan for the case. They are both controlled to maintain the optimal CPU temperature. If there's not a good enough thermal contact between the heatsink and the CPU or of there's a dust buildup in the heatsink fins you can see it running the fans harder to keep that optimal temperature. You can go through the warranty process and they'll likely replace the thermal paste since it doesn't sound as if the fan itself is failing...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • overheat
    Thank you for the answer, Billsey. It wasn't the system itself that made the fans run harder, I made them. Prior to that, they were barely running at all, even during high temperature moments.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Yeah, and it sounds like the app isn't doing a good job of changing your user interface to match the hardware the system actually has. The two fans it calls System 1 & 2 are the CPU fan and the system fan.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • USERNAMEUSSR
    USERNAMEUSSR Member Posts: 7 New User
    I have a Predator 3000 po3 i7-8700 2070 8g.v. r. and 16 g. ram. I too have experienced unreasonable high temp spikes. To 100 celcius. Though my PC never shut down, i suspect that the PC doesnt recognize the right temp. at the moment, and therefor it doesn't shut down? Or have i somehow managed to turn off the auto-shutdown thing?
  • overheat
    I have a Predator 3000 po3 i7-8700 2070 8g.v. r. and 16 g. ram. I too have experienced unreasonable high temp spikes. To 100 celcius. Though my PC never shut down, i suspect that the PC doesnt recognize the right temp. at the moment, and therefor it doesn't shut down? Or have i somehow managed to turn off the auto-shutdown thing?
    It should throttle heavily at 100 C to prevent damage to the CPU (at least on most desktop Intel CPUs) and shut down if it keeps climbing and manages to reach 105 C. If you tampered with the BIOS or programs that have to do with your CPU or fans there is a possibility that you managed to turn it off. It could also be that Acer changed some settings.
  • USERNAMEUSSR
    USERNAMEUSSR Member Posts: 7 New User
    I figured it out,  or the tech company that i bought the PC from figured it out.

They simply "reseated" the CPU fan, and its running like a dream (almost) again. Thanks