Acer One 756 2626 High CPU and slow performance I realize the CPU is not upgradable

svenson14
svenson14 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,
I'm constantly struggling with high CPU and slow performance on my Acer 756 2626, when doing anything other than idling. i.e. during startup, task manager or with one tab of Chrome open.

I've already added a second 4Gb Ram, and switched to an SSD.  I realize the CPU is not upgradable since it's soldered on.  Intel Process Diagnostic Tool 64 bit saw no issues.

System Info:
Model: Q1VZC     | Acer One 756-2626
CPU: Celeron 847 1.1GHz 
Drive: ADATA 128 SSD
Ram: 2X 4GB DDR3 1333
https://www.crucial.com/scanview/0D17514C31D926C3

Is there anything else I can do to get this CPU usage down a little and make this run a little faster?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• svenson14

Tinkerer

Screenshot for Task Manager:
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Try removing Avast and use Windows Defender and see how much of a difference that makes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • svenson14

Tinkerer

It seems to still easily spike up with doing simple tasks. Also high CPU during startup or Chrome.

• svenson14

Tinkerer

I have "Reset this PC", computer is still spikes up to 99% quickly.
  • billsey
    Try using Resource Monitor instead of Task Manager to see what's going on. You can sticky specific tasks to the top for better visibility into potential problems.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • svenson14

Tinkerer

Circling back on this, as it's still a problem. This computer had already had the SSD and RAM Upgrades. It used to be a fast netbook.

Chrome and/or Task Manager shouldn't take so much CPU.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

Have you updated the bios to version 2.21, try upgrade the ram to 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz modules (like Crucial suggests) which is another option to improve performance and reduce CPU usage, remember that the Celeron 847 and its integrated HD (Sandy Bridge) graphics is not the sharpest tool in the graphics shed and that is why your CPU consumes so much frequency and bottlenecks to make up for the integrated GPUs slow graphics, that its base frequency runs at 350 MHz and maxes out at 800 MHz frequency, as that is why your Acer One 756-2626 is struggling with high CPU usage and slow performance. This Notebook was designed for Win-8.1 and running Win-10 is a setup for this Notebooks graphics which suck allot of CPU/GPU power, hence and why the CPU is overstretched. You can't do anything further than what you have done, if you are running 8GB total ram with a 2.5" SSD SATA III drive that is the limit of this Notebooks performance.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,077 Trailblazer

Yes there is:

Disable Startup apps in Task Manager under the Startup tab.

Uninstall Avast, all you need is Windows10 Defender.

There will be dozens more apps running (not on the Task Manager picture), go to Programs and apps and uninstall everything you don't need.

Open Device Manager and check if you see any Unknown Devices or yellow exclamation marks, uninstall those devices.

Type Storage Sense in the search bar and after the scan click on the Temp. icon, it may find dozens of GB redundant Windows update files, purge everything.

Trim or defrag your C:\ drive.

Paste the following in the Command Prompt opened as administrator: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After that paste this in the same Command Prompt window: SFC /scannow

Both should complete successfully keep running the commands till you get Successfully completed and No violations found.

Finally update your windows10 I believe the last update is 22H2 build 19045.2486.

This should speed up your system😉

• billsey

As I said before, you can likely pin it down by looking at Resource Monitor.