Acer Chromebook 514 constantly buffering and 'dropping' internet connection.

Andy1Mac
Andy1Mac Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Recently purchased the above to replace my faulty laptop. Unhappy in that it constantly buffers and 'drops' the internet for minutes at a time, whilst telling me I have a strong signal.
I can still use 2 old laptops and neither has these problems. Inept silver surfer with very little in the way of anything but basic requirements from my laptop, so can't see where the problem lies. Any suggestions, in basic English please, would be gratefully accepted.
Regards

Edited the content to hide personal information

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Which model do you have? It might be something like CB514-xxx-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Andy1Mac
      CB514    1H -C1T8 Hope thats it.
    N18Q3 Model no.
  • billsey
    OK, your machine uses an Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265 M.2 card for the WiFi. That's a really common card for systems with 802.11ac support, so drivers shouldn't be an issue unless Google screwed up an update. Is there any chance it is more stable if you move close to the router? The card has two antennas connected to it, and the connectors are really tiny. If one wasn't fully seated when initially put together it might not get as good of signal as it thinks it sees.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Andy1Mac
    Thanks Bill, my usual positioning is about 2m from the router so would think that's adequate. 
    Do you think it's a possible problem with the laptop, I'm concerned if I try and return it, it will behave itself and perform beautifully in the shop. 
  • FiveO
    FiveO Member Posts: 3 New User
    If you are using a hotspot (cellular device) check that battery-saver is not turned on. Also check the setting that allows apps to update in the background (Facebook is one, weather applications etc).
  • Andy1Mac
    Always use with laptop plugged in, charged. Auto updates are on but this doesn't appear to be an issue normally and is done in a matter of seconds. The problem will persist for an hour and more sometimes, although switch on/off has been known to work.
  • billsey
    @Andy1Mac which OS version is installed? Google handles all updates and their 'drivers' are embedded in the OS, so any update can either fix a bug or break it. :(