TC 895 Motherboard i need to know the later date of M.2 SSD in Acer Aspire TC-895

HUW
HUW Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I am considering buying a Acer Aspire TC-895 but i need to know whether at a later date i could add a M.2 SSD to the computer. Can anybody help?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

TC-895 comes with 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD already (probably a PCIe 3.0 x2 one, may not be the x4 faster type, but still a couple times faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD). The 10th generation i5 CPU models using non-standard power supply units, that will give you headache if you want to add a powerful graphics card later, and the power connectors at the motherboard are not standard. The 9th generation CPU model using standard PSU with ATX form factor, which will allow you to find an upgrade PSU easily.
    That is one of the reasons why the 10th generation CPU units are selling cheaper than 9th generation units at Amazon. 
    I'll try to get the 9th generation unit, even though it is slightly slower and more expensive, avoiding future headaches.
    Look at the back of the PC, if it has four screws at the PSU, that is the standard ATX PSU type.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    The TC-895 supports Intel Optane memory, so is PCIe x4 for the NVMe M.2 slot. The system uses a standard ATX12VO power supply, and those are new enough there aren't a lot of different ones available yet. Since Intel's latest spec uses them though most new designs will use them as well. (And it doesn't hurt that they are cheaper to build than the old ATX supplies.) Some TC-895 models come with a HDD, some with SSD and some with both.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HUW
    HUW Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
  • Pops3
    Pops3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    I have the TC-895-UR15 (DTBF3AA006034013DD4800). I don't game (it's a computer, not a Nintendo), I don't watch movies (it's a computer, not a Sony UBP-X700). Even tho' I have 16TB NAS set up as RAID 5 I'd rather have some more internal storage. Can a SSD/HDD be added tho this puppy? I actually prefer HDDs because once a SSD pukes your data is lost forever.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Pops3
    Since you have RAID, you PC is rather safe. Have you ever consider external USB  3.0 HDD? This with give another backup at your command, can store it at a different place. As long as your PC has vacant SATA port you can add another SATA3 HDD. If you are concern about the SSD not so reliable, adding a WD 10,00 RPM  SATA3 server drive is a good idea, at half the price of 2.5" SATA3 SSD.

• Locutus
    Locutus Member Posts: 1 New User
    Pops3 said:
    I have the TC-895-UR15 (DTBF3AA006034013DD4800). I don't game (it's a computer, not a Nintendo), I don't watch movies (it's a computer, not a Sony UBP-X700). Even tho' I have 16TB NAS set up as RAID 5 I'd rather have some more internal storage. Can a SSD/HDD be added tho this puppy? I actually prefer HDDs because once a SSD pukes your data is lost forever.
    Yes, you can add 1 internal storage device on top of the 512GB M.2 that comes with it. I too went with an HDD for my bulk storage.  
  • Pops3
    Pops3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Thank you much. Right now, the only improvement I can suggest to Acer is to show the motherboard in the user documentation. It helps get the lay of the land for upgrades & add-ons.
  • Damagedgoods2008
    Damagedgoods2008 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

i have one of these, and they are a great machine, however they are limited with the current PSU depending on the model you are getting as its not a standard ATX power supply, so if you want to upgrade the graphics card, you are limited by choice, unless you can modify an ATX PSU to fit into the case and connect to the non standard motherboard connectors.
  • Piero1
    Piero1 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I also have one of this desktop which runs very well except for the following problem. The CPU fan runs ALWAYS at very high speed and that is very, very annoying. I wonder if there is a configuration change (BIOS??) that could fix or, at least, mitigate this issue.

If you have any idea or suggestion, please let me know!

Thanks - Piero

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Piero1

I tried to disable SMARTFAN in BIOS but....it is much worse than before as the fan ALWAYS runs at an INSANE speed. So I had to reverse to SMARTFAN enabled. Is there, by chance, an Acer program or service that controls the fan speed? This desktop behavior is...RIDICOLOUS!! At this point I don't know any longer what to look at? I have seen a user that fixed this problem (I must not be the only only affected by it) by uninstalling CARE CENTER SERVICE. What do you guys think about that?

Piero

• What is the version bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Piero1

System BIOS

Version R01-A0

Build Date 05/19/2020

EC Firmware

Version 1.01

Build Date 05/19/2020

Piero

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon

Here is a screenshot of my cpu fan

TC-895.

You can view it real time with Speccy but I don't think that you can control it.

You have 2 fans, which is making the noise . CPU or power supply ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

What are you running for CPU temperatures? Fan speed is controlled by default to hold the temperature at optimal. If it's getting a bad reading or the temperature really is high you will get fast fan speeds.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Piero1

Well, SPECCY shows CPU temperature fluctuating between 42 C (Centigrade, I think) to 54 C. With SMARTFAN disable the noise is so high that it becomes unbearable. I personally think that the noise I hear (a real nuisance to me) is normal as the system was design this way. If this were the norm, I'll have to replace this desktop. Besides, I think the nuisance noise comes from the CPU fan. Thank you for your comment/suggestion. By the way, where do I find Acer's latest BIOS version for my TC-895-UA91?

Piero

• Larryodie

To your right from the main page (here) says DRIVERS AND MANUALS. click on it .

I'm using R01-A3

• Then you can upgrade to that version: BIOS Acer Update ME version to v14.5.32.1397v4. R01-A3 14.6 MB 2021/08/03 download

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Piero1

Just installed R01-A3 which seems to be slightly less noisy than my previous version R01-A0. Well.....my desktop, except for the "fan noise" works very well with no problem. So....I will buy a good pair of ear muffs!!🙂 and thank you for your help.

• Larryodie

With the upgraded bios, you should be able to monitor the rpm & temps pro-active.

However you can't see it with programs running that is Speccy.

Have you pulled the cover off and looked for trash in the fan? The side cover is 2 screws on the back, that pulls backwards, very simple.