Why does my new laptop keep occasionally switching off? - Nitro AN515-54

Options
celestialkae
celestialkae Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have a Nitro AN515-54 which I purchased less than two months ago. I haven't had any issues using it besides this one: sometimes, the laptop will turn off completely unprompted (and no error screen will show up), and then instantly turn back on again, though sometimes I'll have to turn it back on myself. There's no sign of malfunction before it turns off, so I have no idea what's causing this. I can't find any correlation between what I'm doing on the laptop to make it turn off, and the fans appear to be working properly.
Does anyone have any similar experiences, or know why this happens? Google has hardly helped me since I can't find anything specific to Acer laptops, or to this model.

Answers

• Broken8Ball
    Broken8Ball Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hm, has this computer been physically damaged in any way? ie, dropped, hit? If so, that might be why, something could've been moved or damaged, if not, try this. Plug it into a monitor and see if the monitor turns off with the laptop. If it doesn't then it sounds like some sort of cpu/battery problem. If not, maybe take it into a shop to see what's wrong. Acer support shops are quite good and can help you diagnose the problem better than I can. If you can capture footage, please, post it here and I'll see what I can work out. 
    -Broken8Ball
    I'm 8Ball, I try to help as best I can. If the news isn't good, I'll deliver it. 
    Games that are worth checking out: Destiny 2, Minecraft, Modern Warfare, Warframe, Ghostrunner, Enter the Gungeon......
  • celestialkae
    celestialkae Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hm, has this computer been physically damaged in any way? ie, dropped, hit? If so, that might be why, something could've been moved or damaged, if not, try this. Plug it into a monitor and see if the monitor turns off with the laptop. If it doesn't then it sounds like some sort of cpu/battery problem. If not, maybe take it into a shop to see what's wrong. Acer support shops are quite good and can help you diagnose the problem better than I can. If you can capture footage, please, post it here and I'll see what I can work out. 
    -Broken8Ball
    It hasn't been damaged at all - I've been super careful with it. It hasn't left my table, so if it is damaged, it would've had to be before I bought it. I don't have a monitor so I can't try what you've suggested. Taking it into a shop is an option, but I'd rather see if the issue can be resolved by myself first, since I don't want to be without the laptop for too long. Thank you for your suggestions though! I'd try to capture footage, but the problem occurs so infrequently that I'd possibly end up recording for hours, if not days. If it helps, the last time it did it (yesterday, an hour or so before I posted this), this is what happened:

I was on a Discord call with a friend, had Spotify running and maybe a few Firefox tabs. I wouldn't have had anything else open besides background processes. The screen goes black, I can no longer hear my friend, and the keyboard's backlight turns off. I give it a minute, and press the power button. Screen turns on and goes almost instantly to the lock-screen. I sign in, and it's just like it was before - back on Discord, everything loads up instantly. All I have to do is rejoin the call to be heard by my friend again. This then occurred once more maybe 10 or 15 minutes later.

Hopefully this helps even a little; I've also disabled quick start on the power options.