acer aspire 3 A315-23 RAM upgrade want to add another 4gb to my laptop but no idea what to buy

Dukebox
Dukebox Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Aspire 3 315-23 with 8gb ram bought in 2020. I know little to nothing about RAM speeds, and want to add another 4gb to my laptop but no idea what to buy.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You have 4GB onboard memory and 4GB removable memory in your laptop, you can upgrade the 4GB to another 8GB module to make the maximum total memory of 12GB.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/616670/ram-upgrade-from-8gb-to-16gb-aspire-3-a315-23
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

thank you for your response i didnt realsie there was only one ram slot im still not sure which ram i should buy i know it needs to be ddr4 but as far as speed is concerned im still none the wiser :( can you help?
  • Hi,
    You can use 2400/2666 or 3200MHz module to upgrade but I would suggest you check the current memory speed in Task Manager and get a module with same speed.

• Dukebox

Tinkerer

amazing thank you so much mines aparantly running at 2400 can i buy ram with higher speed or will that effect the onboard ram?
  • No problem, yes you can buy a higher speed RAM but it will downclock to 2400MHz.
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

so I ran the bench mark having owned the laptop for less than a month this is what I have after installing and running citrix for work
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

Dukebox said:
    so I ran the bench mark having owned the laptop for less than a month this is what I have after installing and running citrix for work
    memory is stated as many figures does this means its overclocking? again new to this i apologise so nay ram aslong as it is 2400 or above will be fine. any recomendations?
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

so is this a good fit?
  • You can buy any DDR4 2400/2666 MHz module except Kingston HyperX and any module especially made for a particular brand of laptop.
    Example:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT8G4SFS824A-PC4-19200-Single-260-Pin/dp/B01BIWKP58
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

you've been a great help thank you so much, I am disappointed that my laptop all be it not top of the range is not mid range as stated by retailer but none the less thank you.
  • Dukebox

Tinkerer

as a last question the limitation on the board for ram is set as 12gb hich is 4 on board 4 removable can i go over the limit for say 16 gb extra?
  • E510DRL
    E510DRL Member Posts: 3 New User

For those who want to update the memory yes you can to 64GB

Download ( I only will ever use safe links) COMPUTER FOR HERE SINCE MS-DOS so I've been in the business for many years. I was given the same laptop neck in 2019 I think it was. Was new as well.

So let's get started here.

Download this.

Save it in downloads your can use it anytime after this as well. Let it go and install and update it as needed it will give your a total complete read of what exactly is on your computer serial numbers to your product key/s to everything including memory and what capacity you can upgrade to.

This is a great piece of software I personally have been using it for years.

This is my capisity of the exact same laptop.

I'll leave it my serial number always leave this out of your going to post anything like this ( always).

That said hope this helps anybody out in on here once in awhile so let me know if there is anything else, you people need and if I have the time I will gladly.

Thanks Dave.

Here is mine for this laptop only 

+++++++++++++++++++++

Acer Aspire A315-23 V1.20

Slot 'DIMM 0' has 4 GB (serial number 276F0BD8)

Slot 'DIMM 0' has 4 GB

64 Gigabytes Maximum System Memory Capacity

+++++++++++++++++++++