keys don't work Aspire e15

TessaMary
TessaMary Member Posts: 68 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Aspire e15; keys 7+8 on mum pad and ESC don't work! Really annoying, even 10 years old other brands function. Typical Acer way to get customers buy another pc? Well that def isn't gonna be Acer again!
Or is there a solution?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Gently use a soft cosmetic facial blush brush to dig under the key covers to loosen debris & crumbs that can accumulate on the key switches. It helps to blow air on the keys at the same time that you're digging under the key covers with the blush brush. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TessaMary
    hi Jack E/NJ, tried that already, useless...
  • JackE
    Depending on the model, replacement KBs can be cheap and easy to install. Some not.  So what's your full E15 model number? E5-xxx-yyyy? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TessaMary
    that'll be e5 575 320p.  I think this is a typical 'screw the customer' keyboard: very hard to recover. But i hope you can surprise me.
  • JackE
    If you can wait about 4 weeks, you can buy a new KB assembly for $80. Or if you're handy do-it-yourselfer, you can purchase just the keyboard itself for about $15 and replace the old one from the original top assembly  Or you can google the part # "6B.GF2N7.028" for other vendors that'll ship to your location. If you do it yourself, google 'e5-575' 'disassembly' for videos on how to do it. Or take it to a local laptop repair shop for an estimate. This shop seems to have a good rep  https://www.laptopkings.nl/ Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TessaMary
    thanx for the effort JackE. As i said it is pretty much impossible to change the keyboard since Acer used rivets.
    "If the keyboard failed, I would recommend replacing the entire top case assembly." $ 65-

Thnx Acer once and never again!

• JackE
    Sorry, better luck with the next machine you decide to get. If it was mine, I'd probably order the KB assembly from from Aliexpress for $80 with shipping and do it myself.  Hard to beat the power of an E5 by replacing it with a new machine that'll cost at least 10 times more.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ