Acer A515-54 compatibility with Samsung 980 PRO SSD (m.2 NVMe) Gen 4

TonyWenz
TonyWenz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited October 2020 in Nitro Gaming
I have installed the ssd. Formatted and ready to roll.... however - I have an error flag... 

While it 'works' (ie seen by Bios) the Samsung clone software says I need the Samsung driver (NVMe 3v3 is the latest) 
It driver does not support the 980 series - therfore I cannot clone my hi-speed drive. 
Any suggestions how to get around this? Or should I just get a different ssd? Tia

Edited the content to hide personal information

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You have to switch to AHCI mode for SATA in BIOS for the Samsung driver installation, go to BIOS, move to the Main tab, then switch to AHCI mode from RST with Optane, save the changes and try installing the driver.

• TonyWenz
    Ty. Should I backup before I try it? Does this change carry any risk? 
  • TonyWenz
    Will this change affect my current ssd? Will it still boot and operate as normal? 
  • brummyfan2
    No problem, you won't have any problem, it will boot but to be on the safe side you can backup your system, no it won't change anything on your current SSD.
  • TonyWenz
    edited October 2020
    Hi brummyfan2,
    I eventually worked out how to get to Bios. This is my first setup with a SSD, and it was way too fast to catch my F2 taps...lol

Anyhooo - my Bios is different to the pic you showed, Do I need a Bios update?

(PS I saw that Samsung updated their Magician software (6.2.1). I was hoping for a magic fix- but no joy.  :'(  )
    What do you suggest as my next step?
    Should I try get this Gen 4 ssd working? or send it back for a gen 3? 
  • TonyWenz
    I found the hidden SATA setting!     HOWEVER  - WARNING 
    I changed to AHCI and the laptop would not start! It went to repair mode. It tried diagnostic mode. ALL FAILED TO START.
    My heart sank. Fortunately I was able to get back to Bios and undo my change and went back to RST Premium.
    I wonder what my options are now?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Yes, I also think that you should get the Gen3 SSD, this 980 Pro is a newer SSD and most suited for motherboards capable of Gen4  M.2 SSDs.
  • HappyHands
    HappyHands Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hey let me help you out.. in order for you to boot at ahci it could be alot of proccess 1st change it to rst with optane then go to command prompt run as admin type bcdedit /set safeboot minimal restart laptop go to bios press f2 then change to ahci save and exit it will go to safe mode once i  safe mode got to cmd run as administrator and type bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot im like 99% u can boot this time btw i have acer an515-55 and im having same issues before hope it helps
  • scartozzicus
    scartozzicus Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi everyone, I'd like to ask you a question and see if anyone can answer me.
    I just bought a New Acer Aspire 5 with 11th intel i5, and the 11th processor could has a pci 4.0 interface, so i bought a ssd pci 4.0 samsung 980 pro 1Tb. My pc is aspire A514-54-50TB with i5-1135G7, but when i try to instal the samsung nvme driver 3.3 windows tell me that it can't see any nvme unit!
    The last version of Samsung Magician see the 980 pro, but say the intel driver is not good, infact i can't do anything on Magician.
    Actually my sistem has a read ad writing speed is about 3000 mb/s for each, i think the max speed for a pci 3.0 interface.
    My question is: the problem is hardware and my pc that does not have a 4.0 interface or the problem is software and I don't have the right configuration or the right driver?
  • Hi everyone, I'd like to ask you a question and see if anyone can answer me.
    I just bought a New Acer Aspire 5 with 11th intel i5, and the 11th processor could has a pci 4.0 interface, so i bought a ssd pci 4.0 samsung 980 pro 1Tb. My pc is aspire A514-54-50TB with i5-1135G7, but when i try to instal the samsung nvme driver 3.3 windows tell me that it can't see any nvme unit!
    The last version of Samsung Magician see the 980 pro, but say the intel driver is not good, infact i can't do anything on Magician.
    Actually my sistem has a read ad writing speed is about 3000 mb/s for each, i think the max speed for a pci 3.0 interface.
    My question is: the problem is hardware and my pc that does not have a 4.0 interface or the problem is software and I don't have the right configuration or the right driver?
    Hi,
    Could you please start a new thread, so that many members can view your post, please go to main page and click Laptops, click "Ask a question" at the next page and post your request, thanks.

• scartozzicus
    scartozzicus Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

oh sorry! I will do it, thanks
  • oh sorry! I will do it, thanks
    No problem.
  • TonyWenz
    Hi everyone, I'd like to ask you a question and see if anyone can answer me.
    Same problem I have. No easy answer. Lots of suggestions. Lots of crashes. I'm still waiting on Samsung...

Good luck in the new thread!
  • FilthyFrosty
    FilthyFrosty Member Posts: 3 New User
    TonyWenz said:
    I found the hidden SATA setting!     HOWEVER  - WARNING 
    I changed to AHCI and the laptop would not start! It went to repair mode. It tried diagnostic mode. ALL FAILED TO START.
    My heart sank. Fortunately I was able to get back to Bios and undo my change and went back to RST Premium.
    I wonder what my options are now?
    Where did you find this hidden setting I have a 980 non pro so gen 3 but The system
    cant seem to recognize the drive I have the same laptop
  • Twointje
    Twointje Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Go to the main bios page and select CRTL and S at the same time and the controller wil be vissible in the advance page

Best regards

• TonyWenz

What do you suggest I set it to?

I got it to work without any help from Samsung. Their own Magician software reported their own SSD as faulty. I was on chat to them for over 6months. Every time I spoke with them they would 'escalate' it. In the end, they said send it back. I said I cannot operate without an SSD, so I'll buy another new one, clone it, send the 'faulty' open back, then they could credit me for the faulty. one. They said they did not have one in stock.

So I have been running it for quite some time now. my speed dropped from 7k to 3k with the introduction of Win 11.

My suggestion: Don't buy Samsung SSD