Acer Swift 3 Thunderbolt query - SF313-52

Options
Tappers
Tappers Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Just purchased swift 3 i5 tenth gen. With hi Res Intel iris graphics. 
I was lead to believe that this thunderbolt socket is the be all and end all? I am sure I read you can charge the unit with a standard phone cable by it? Can send movies etc out directly to smart TV or generally just see whatever you are doing on screen, but on the bigger display of the TV.
So, I watched a 4k video from YouTube on the TV, but there was a constant whine coming out of the TV... Was the socket emitting electricity which the TV objected to? And why? How am i. meant to watch anything high quality on there via this socket if it's always going to do this?
Also as it's the new swift 3 with the 3:2 format, the image on the TV was not a complete screen. What am I doing wrong, or have I not set it up right yet.. doh!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    We need to know the full Swift 3 model number, it should be something like SF3xx-xxx-xxxx. Remember also that a 3:2 screen is a different aspect ratio than a 16:9 so either an image gets squashed or you have empty borders at the edges when displaying the other resolution.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tappers
    Options
    Yes, thanks. SF313-52
    i5 1035G4

• billsey
    Options
    Well, the "be all and end all" might be a little to ... optimistic, since Intel just announced the next gen USB and Thunderbolt. :) It's not shabby though:
    Thunderbolt Port
    • Up to 40Gbps Thunderbolt transmission
    • Support USB3.1 Gen 1/2 and Display port 1.4
    • System charging up to 15W
    • Needed additional flash memory
    So, 40Gbps is pretty darn fast and the DP over TB is great for a second or third monitor. The System Charging just means you can charge your devices off the port, not that you can charge the laptop with the port. "Needed additional flash memory" isn't really worded well, it just means you can plug a flash drive in if your need one. :)
    Now, when you are watching videos on another screen if you do the Windows-P and select Extend the second screen can have a different resolution than the laptop screen, so you won't have it distorting or giving you those black borders. The whine is more concerning, though it might be the cable picking up interference from electrical noise. Try rerouting the cable or picking up one rated for DP 1.4... or the latest HDMI if that what you were using.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Tappers
    Options
    That's a great start to my woes, thank you.
    But I really only aimed at a tb machine, for the apparent benefits of a decent way of watching movies etc in hopefully 4k quality on my 4k TV. 
    Hdmi does not make a noise. Only that cable, I have bought specifically for that purpose... It's a nice laptop, so light. Just hope I can get it to do what I need it to.
  • billsey
    Options
    Does the whine happen both when the laptop is on battery and when it's powered by the adapter? Does the noise change at all when you move the cable around? You might have gotten a bum cable or it might have been cheaper because they didn't bother with EMI filters or shielding...
  • Tappers
    Options
    It was what I call expensive.. £15.
    I will try those other suggestions later.