Acer Aspire 3 A314-32 P2MA m.2 ssd type - PCIe/NVMe or Sata III?

Options
miko030386
miko030386 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi guys,

I am planning to add m.2. ssd to my laptop. However, I don't know which type of m.2 ssd, i should buy. Does A314-32 P2MA support PCIe/NVMe?

Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    The specs suggest an m.2 SATAIII socket. However, an nvme card should fit and work OK, if the m.2 socket has a single M-key. If it has a single B-key or two B+M keys, then the nvme card's single M-key slot won't fit. You can also see if you can take advantage of higher nvme speeds by installing hwinfo64 freeware and checking if any of the PCIe root ports have either 2X or 4X link widths. If only 1X, then the nvme will operate at SATAIII speeds. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• miko030386
    miko030386 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    The specs suggest an m.2 SATAIII socket. However, an nvme card should fit and work OK, if the m.2 socket has a single M-key. If it has a single B-key or two B+M keys, then the nvme card's single M-key slot won't fit. You can also see if you can take advantage of higher nvme speeds by installing hwinfo64 freeware and checking if any of the PCIe root ports have either 2X or 4X link widths. If only 1X, then the nvme will operate at SATAIII speeds. Jack E/NJ

Thanks for this informative and comprehensive reply. I appreciate it. I'll check my laptop again. I did open it earlier and found the m.2 slot though I just peeked a bit. Did not open it fully, I was just checking if it could be added. Will open it later and I'll let you know what I would find on the number of pins/connectors or socket types. Thanks heaps!
  • Zozew
    Zozew Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023
    Options

I bought a m.2 mkey Ramsta 128gb nvme and it doesn't detect it on boot... Guess the mkey slot is not for nvme only for SATA which doesn't make sense as the drive fits.. Any ideas?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Check your BIOS Information tab to see if it appears there. If not, it's either defective or not inserted properly..

Jack E/NJ