How do you remove/change a CMOS battery on motherboard?

BlueBear00
BlueBear00 Member Posts: 2 New User
I have changed CMOS batteries in many desktops but they are usually in a holder which is flat and parallel to the motherboard. On the Acerpower FH, the battery holder is in a vertical mount and I can not see how to release the old battery from its holder. I would appreciate if anyone knows of a tab I have to press or could otherwise give some guidance. 

Answers

• I have changed CMOS batteries in many desktops but they are usually in a holder which is flat and parallel to the motherboard. On the Acerpower FH, the battery holder is in a vertical mount and I can not see how to release the old battery from its holder. I would appreciate if anyone knows of a tab I have to press or could otherwise give some guidance. 

You need to use plastic clippers and just pull it out so you don't short anything out (see caption below) it’s a simple process but make sure that you insert the new battery in the same way and you don’t mix the + and – of the battery the wrong way.

Acerpower FH CMOS battery                                               
  • BlueBear00
    BlueBear00 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks. After reading your post I got more aggressive and pulled that puppy right out. The new one went in seamlessly. After 40 years changing these things never saw one like that. The battery removed must have been the original from 2006.
  • Thanks. After reading your post I got more aggressive and pulled that puppy right out. The new one went in seamlessly. After 40 years changing these things never saw one like that. The battery removed must have been the original from 2006.

Yes that is an unusual cmos battery to be vertically mounted, I’ve only come across a few times also in over 40 years.

• FabioVento
    FabioVento Member Posts: 1 New User

Good evening I understand in this discussion because I too have a problem regarding the replacement of the battery of the motherboard of an Acerpower Fh, the battery I extracted but I did not pay attention to the sense to put it back, that is, it seems to me the flat part ( positive) up and the rounded (negative) down, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me? Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    You are correct, with pretty much all CMOS battery sockets the full side is up and the side with a rim around it is down.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.