Aspire ES1-731 BIOS crisis recovery

Mohi
Mohi Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I need instruction for BIOS crisis recovery.
After updating my laptop BIOS from the file downloaded from the Acer website, my laptop doesn't boot up. only the blue power led remain on and nothing happens. Also, the CPU fan doesn't start.
I need the instruction for BIOS crisis recovery.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    You must have an empty FAT32 formatted pendrive with an LED light. Extract the BIOS zip files and look in either the DOS or Windows subdirectories for a BIN, ROM, WPD or FD file. Rename the file ZRV.FD and copy it to the pendrive. Insert the pendrive into a USB socket, preferrably USB3 (blue). Plug the charger in. Press and hold the FN+ESC keys. Then press the power button. When you see USB LED activity, you can release the keys. if successful, the machine will automatically shut down after about 5  minutes. If it doesn't work, try it at least two more times. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mohi

Tinkerer

In the downloaded zip file from the Acer website, I could find only the .exe file that is not zip and is an Installer (I can't see the file in it with 7-zip). I ran it and looked at "Windows Temp Folder" and I found only the file "isflash.bin" that is like a BIOS file from it's file size. Should I rename it to ZRV.FD?
  • JackE
    Yes. Rename it to zrv.fd. It should be the only file on the FAT32 formatted pendrive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mohi

Tinkerer

Nothing happened. The LED of the flash drive doesn't blink.
    Shouldn't I remove the battery socket from the motherboard? The battery is built-in and I should open the button cover.
  • Mohi

Tinkerer

The laptop power LED remains blue and solid without any other activity. I think the CPU fan also doesn't start during this process.
  • JackE
    Did you try all 3 USB ports? Only one of them might be read by the BIOS chip. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mohi

Tinkerer

Yes. I tested all 3 USB ports
  • JackE
    What problem were you having with the old BIOS version that you thought a BIOS update would fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mohi

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    It hadn't any problem. Just I wanted to be updated to the latest version.
    When this problem happened after the BIOS update, I tried reprogramming the chip with the CH341a chip programmer, but nothing happened.
    I tried several BIOS bin files: I downloaded from the internet, I downloaded from the Acer website, I copied from another exact model of this Acer BIOS chip, but none of them was not successful.
  • JackE
    The BIOS chip's boot block seems to be corrupted or damaged. I'm unable tell which. If damaged, the chip will have to be replaced. Prices are around $20USD  for pre-programmed surface mount chips. So a new chip may be the most practical solution. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ACER-ASPIRE-ES1-731-ES1-731G-ES1-731P-ES1-731PG-/382080891446

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mohi

Tinkerer

The situation that I didn't want to fall into!
    Thanks anyway.

• nex1986
    nex1986 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    did you managed to get it fixed? I'm having the same issue same laptop