Aspire V3-471G GPU overclocking above limits?

JD86
JD86 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Is there a way to overclock the GPU (GT 630m) above the +135 core clock limit? As shown below it does not go above even if higher clocks are applied.
I also tried applying a driver patch but that did nothing.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,821 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020

Firstly, the overclocking that you have is right up there at the top end, be careful as you could do allot of damage overclocking either your GPU or CPU. This is the OEM specs of a GeForce GT 640M OEM (see caption below) and its for an Aspire V3-571G (that is a higher spec laptop) with an i7-3610QM, 8GB DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM dual channel and an SSD with TRIM etc and as you can see you have already overclocked your GT 630M to a considerable higher level, also, your temps (as overclocking increases temps and your laptop has to be kept cooler) could be another thing that might be a factor of performance and will limit your GT 630M’s performance. You can’t have both as and if your Aspire V3-471G overheats it will turn off your laptop and/or damage your GPU, be careful as your Aspire V3-471G is not a high end gaming laptop for today’s games and its limited and as the saying goes "you can't get blood out of a stone"   :) 

• JD86
    I see, temps are not a problem since I'm not hitting 90 degrees on both CPU and GPU on max loads and is still stable(with OC on GPU and removed throttling on CPU with ThrottleStop). This is why I'm planning to OC the GPU a bit more until just before I hit actual limits. If stuff gets damaged that doesn't matter is I already have plans to get a new one in the near future.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,821 Trailblazer
    JD86 said:
    I see, temps are not a problem since I'm not hitting 90 degrees on both CPU and GPU on max loads and is still stable(with OC on GPU and removed throttling on CPU with ThrottleStop). This is why I'm planning to OC the GPU a bit more until just before I hit actual limits. If stuff gets damaged that doesn't matter is I already have plans to get a new one in the near future.

If your NOT worried about damage (as overclocking is a risky process) then clock the NVIDIA inspector from “Performance Level [1] to (if you have any more for the GT630M?) to other levels [2] or [3], if you don’t have those levels then clock the  Base Clock, Memory Clock and Shader Clock with the NVIDIA inspector to a gradual and higher levels and try it that way. The NVIDIA inspector or MSI Afterburner is about the only two I know of as an overclocking tool for an NVIDIA card especially an older card like your GT 630M.

• JD86
    StevenGen said:
    JD86 said:

If your NOT worried about damage (as overclocking is a risky process) then clock the NVIDIA inspector from “Performance Level [1] to (if you have any more for the GT630M?) to other levels [2] or [3], if you don’t have those levels then clock the  Base Clock, Memory Clock and Shader Clock with the NVIDIA inspector to a gradual and higher levels and try it that way. The NVIDIA inspector or MSI Afterburner is about the only two I know of as an overclocking tool for an NVIDIA card especially an older card like your GT 630M.

There are no higher performance levels available, and even if I try to increase clocks the GPU doesn't follow it (as shown in the first picture where the GPU clock is higher than current clock). So at this point is clocking further even possible? Or only with mods on the BIOS?