Acer Aspire ES1-411 battery not detected

Options
frariky
frariky Member Posts: 20 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Dear all,
I have an Acer Aspire ES1-411 with the following info:

Clean installation Windows 10 (v. 2004)
Bios updated with latest version (v. 1.08)
In device "manager" everything is working (no sign of ! or yellow warnings)
All drivers updated from the Acer official website (including the "Serial IO Driver")

When the laptop is off and connected to the main, the battery led (orange) is solid on for a couple of minutes then starts to blink
When the laptop is on, on the tray of the taskbar it is said "battery not detected" even if it is inserted and the orange light is still blinking.
The laptop doesn't turn on with the battery inserted and the charger removed  

I tried the following:

- bought a new battery: no changes
- uninstalled the battery drivers from the device manager(including ACPI method) and reinstalling them:no changes
- battery removed, power button pressed for 15 seconds, battery in (laptop doesn't power on), charger in: laptop powers on but no issue still present
- run Windows Troubleshooting: no changes
- clean the contact of the battery/laptop area: no changes
- checked if the bios has got a integrated hardware check: this option is not present
- updated the driver of the CPU: no changes
- battery in then keeping the power button pressed in the meantime I connect the charger: no changes
- with command prompt I run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" and "SFC /scannow": no issue have been detected

Any ideas on how to sort out the issue?

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options
    What was the ACER factory-installed Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frariky
    Options
    Hi JackE,
    thank you for your reply.
    It came with Windows 8.1 installed

• JackE
    Options
    If you can boot it, go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frariky
    Options
    I entered the string in the command prompt and the outcome is:

Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x10d2) has occurred: The library, drive, or media is empty
  • JackE
    Options
    Doesn't detect the battery either. Open Device Manager. Click batteries folder. Right click and uninstall each driver you find inside the folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frariky
    Options
    I'll try tomorrow :) my alarm clock is looking at me in a funny way. Thank you for your reply.  I'll let you know what happened once tried your instructions by tomorrow 
  • frariky
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Here I am.
    I tried your solution leaving the battery inserted and no change.
    I tried it again after I removed the battery and still no change.
    It is funny that when I remove the battery, the orange led is off, when I insert the battery the led is solid on, it then starts to blink after a couple of minutes (it has always been doing this with both the batteries).
    On the taskbar tray no change at all: always an icon with a empty battery and a "X" inside it.
    The laptop "senses" the battery (with the orange led appearing as soon as I insert the battery) but Windows doesn't feel it at all  :/
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> bought a new battery: no changes>>>

Where did you get this battery? Where is the old battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frariky
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I've got both batteries with me.
    The one on the left/top in  the pictures is the last one I bought (on Ebay).
    Both of them look genuine and the laptop behaves in the same way with either of them.
    At this point I have 2 clues:
    - both the batteries are not good?
    - the bios is not handling the batteries properly considering even when the laptop is switched off (but connected to the main) the orange led starts to blink after a couple of minutes (Windows is not even booted)? 
     the laptop came with the one on the right

• JackE
    Options
    I suspect that one or more of the mainboard battery socket slot connectors might be clogged with debris or corroded. Unplug the charger and pull the battery out to inspect the socket with a flashlight. You might want to slip a thin piece of cardboard or credit card plastic in the slots to clean them. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ