Upgrading RAM and installing second hard drive Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R3YH

Options
2»

Answers

• MTmann
    MTmann Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack E. I have another question for you. I have an A515-44-R41B. I see hard drive kits made for the A515-54 and A515-43 which i provided urls, attached to the models i provided. I'm thinking either will most likely fit my A515-44. I contacted acer and they don't have a kit. 
  • MTmann

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    Good luck with it. Let us know if you notice any apparent improvements in how you usually run the machine. Jack E/NJ
    oops i duplicated my post because i didn't see it on the second page. I don't see a way to delete it, only edit. So I'm writing this.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,696 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I contacted acer and they don't have a kit>>>

if you ask for one at this link you might get one free. However, I never use these mounts in an already crowded laptop. I protect and immobilize the HDD or SSD inside the case with antistatic foam. No metal frames, no screws, nothing but foam and an internal SATA ribbon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MTmann

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I contacted acer and they don't have a kit>>>

if you ask for one at this link you might get one free. However, I never use these mounts in an already crowded laptop. I protect and immobilize the HDD or SSD inside the case with antistatic foam. No metal frames, no screws, nothing but foam and an internal SATA ribbon. Jack E/NJ

Acer support is not easy. I finally was able to get someone to confirm the SSD caddy kit which they don't sell to the public is 42.HGLN7.SV1 for my A515-44-R41B. I was able to find that easy and purchased it. The only dilemma I'm facing now is trying to find the screws to mount the caddy to the mounting posts of the laptop. I see above you stated M2.0*2.8 screws are needed and I cant find them anywhere, nor will Acer help. I bought a generic laptop screw kit which includes M2*3 screws which I hope will work. Do you think the M2*3 screws will work? Or do you know where I can purchase the M.2*2.8 screws? Lastly I did buy the Crucial 16gb single ch ram you suggested and my pc shows I'm running dual ch now so that's great, thx!! The only other odd thing going on with this laptop is the long boot time. It buffers on the Acer logo too long, once it gets past that everything else is quick. I'm thinking of doing a fresh start. I've already checked and my bios and updates are all currently up to date.
  • MTmann

Tinkerer

Options
    Speaking of the memory. CPU-Z says I'm only running at 1333mhz speeds instead of 2666mhz but task manager says 2666mhz. Do you have any idea why this is? The on-board memory is (HMAA1GS6CMR6N-VK) 2666 and I added crucial 2666.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    MTmann said:
    Speaking of the memory. CPU-Z says I'm only running at 1333mhz speeds instead of 2666mhz but task manager says 2666mhz. Do you have any idea why this is? The on-board memory is (HMAA1GS6CMR6N-VK) 2666 and I added crucial 2666.

Hi,
    The memory is a DDR (Double Data Rate) type, and it means the effective speed is 2x1333MHz.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,696 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, the laptop screw kit will work and have all the screws you'll ever need for laptops. @brummyfan2 is correct. That's what double-data rate means that the RAM is operating as if the bus were twice as fast as 1333MHz. To speed up boot times, open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and make sure box for fast startup is checked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MTmann

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you both!!!