Acer Swift 3 - turn on troubleshooting

Options
JanP
JanP Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, 

I was working on my brand new Acer Swift 3 and then I left it on. 
Then when I came back after a few hours, it was in a sleep mode (as usual) but it wouldn't turn it on at all. 

The screen is black, the blue light showing power is on but I can't hear it working. 
It seems like it's not working besides the blue light. 

I've tried all possible fixes that I've found here, restarting, holding power button, using pinhole button to restart the battery, different combinations of keys etc. 
Nothing changes. 

Anyone has an idea on the root cause here and how to fix it?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Unplug power and let it sit overnight. Then plug power in and let it charge until the light turns blue again, then turn it on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JanP
    Options
    Hi Billsey, thanks for your advice. It seems logical and I tried it but the issue is that the battery has never died, i.e. the blue light has been on since 24h. Guess it will eventually die? Hope it won’t be lagged forever. I’ll give it one more day..
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, the battery should eventually get down enough to act normal again. When you did the reset button thing, did you follow the whole procedure, or just click the button? You should be turned off, disconnect power, then press and hold the button for 15-30 seconds. Release the button and wait 15-30 minutes, then plug power back in and wait for the full charge indication. Finally turn things back on. Skipping some of those steps can often leave it as confused as it was before...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JanP
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I’m just going to leave the comment for the sake of clarity here.

I’ve returned the laptop to the seller and they’ve just given me a new one. According to both the seller and the Acer tech support (from Poland), the root cause of this issue is the Windows update which somehow ’lags’ the entire system. I don’t really believe in this story though.

I’ve been a happy user of the old model - Acer Aspire V (it’s been working for 5 years and has NEVER had any issue) and that’s why I decided to buy the Swift 3. I couldn’t have been more disappointed after buying this one (i’ve also had an wifi connection issues at first). I can see that it’s not only my opinion but as I go through the posts on this website, I’ve noticed that many people have the same problems.

I’m not yet entirely sure if I’m going to keep the new one (depends on how it works) but it’s just a heads up for people who consider buying it. Nevertheless, it’s an extremely good value for money comparing to the competition at the first glance (if it had no tech issues), that’s needless to say.

Hope this opinion will be somewhat helpful.

Cheers