No sound on Acer Nitro VG240Ybmiix

dapto
dapto Member Posts: 8 New User
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
My monitor is a "Acer Nitro VG240Ybmiix" and it has built in speakers and 2 jack ports, i tried both of them and none of them work, but when i connected my monitor with my laptop through a HDMI cable the sound on my monitor worked perfectly. The monitor is connected with my PC from the monitors HDMI port with a HDMI cable that is connect to HDMI to DVI adapter that is then connected to my GPU's DVI port, because my HDMI port on my GPU is not working, and the second cable is the aux cable for sound, but my monitor still then doesn't give any sound. Its showing that there is sound but i can't hear anything.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    Are you talking about the same laptop because it is confused?
    France
  • dapto
    Hello,
    Are you talking about the same laptop because it is confused?
    No, i have a monitor for my PC, and the laptop i just used to connect it with my monitor to check if the sound then works because the HDMI port on my PC's GPU doesn't work, so i tried to connect the monitor with my laptop through a HDMI and the sound then worked but when i connect my PC with the monitor via the aux cable then i don't have any sound.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    Hello,
    I think it's because your monitor is connected to your desktop via the HDMI port. I guess the audio input only works with the VGA port since HDMI and DP already support the audio signal.
    France
  • dapto
    Hello,
    I think it's because your monitor is connected to your desktop via the HDMI port. I guess the audio input only works with the VGA port since HDMI and DP already support the audio signal.
    There were many complains about this monitors jack port not working by other users, but i understand what you mean, so now i am gonna try to find a VGA to DVI adapter and then connect it with a DVI cable.
    Thank you for your help.
  • nneo
    nneo Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Only HDMI or Displayport on your GPU can produce the sound, DVI or VGA can't.
  • dapto
    nneo said:
    Only HDMI or Displayport on your GPU can produce the sound, DVI or VGA can't.
    Yeah i know that that's why i am using the DVI cable and the other sound cable i don't know the name of. This is a picture of that cable, that's the cable that is only used to transmit sound but i still don't get the any sound and that is the problem that i am asking to try to fix.

• nneo
    nneo Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Ok, now can understand, is that audio port on your PC worked before ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    You need to select the line out as your audio output device, I believe.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dapto
    edited October 2020
    nneo said:
    Ok, now can understand, is that audio port on your PC worked before ?
    It's the jack port on my monitor that seems that is not working the jack port my pc is working i used it before on my earlier monitor
  • dapto
    edited October 2020
    billsey said:
    You need to select the line out as your audio output device, I believe.
    Where can i change that output device?
  • billsey
    Windows Sound Settings, under Choose your output device.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dapto
    billsey said:
    Windows Sound Settings, under Choose your output device.
    Didn't help
  • billsey
    I can't remember, have you tried a different cable yet? It's sounding more and more like the input jack on the monitor isn't working right...
  • dapto
    billsey said:
    I can't remember, have you tried a different cable yet? It's sounding more and more like the input jack on the monitor isn't working right...
    Yeah i tried 2 cables and i know for a fact that both of them are working, it seems like the jack port is not working but its a completely new monitor and there are many users of this monitor that are having trouble with the jack port, could it be possible that every single monitor has the same problem?
  • billsey
    I wonder if the port is slightly inset, enough to cause the jack to not seat fully... Grasping at straws here.