Display Flicker problem with Acer Swift 5 - SF514-54T

AjiS5
AjiS5 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi,
I am using Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T and have come across below issues. Appreciate any help in resolving.

My screen flickers and even goes blank at times. I have noticed this happen whenever a video is being played in a window and another window is opened like Microsoft Word or Excel or Outlook. This is more prominent while using google meet or while accessing security cams etc. Anyone faced this issue? I have uploaded a small video in below link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbbafRdSM8mLg-g3a2Ig0zVx6AZxK_Q9/view?usp=sharing

Any help would be highly appreciated as its really disappointing to see this happening especially when you are in the middle of a presentation.

Thx
AJ

Answers

• LunaAdmirer
    LunaAdmirer Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    HI @AjiS5

Try doing this steps :

1) Right-click on the empty area of your desktop screen and click Display settings.

This image has an empty alt attribute its file name is img_5b5ed31f478c3jpg

2) Scroll down to Multiple displays and click Advanced display settings.

This image has an empty alt attribute its file name is img_5b5ed39ec0c51jpg

3) Click Display adapter properties for Display 1.

4) Click the Monitor tab, select 60 Hertz in Screen refresh rate. Then click Apply > OK.

5) Check to see if your Acer laptop screen flickering problem has been resolved.

Click yes if this was useful to you!!

• AjiS5

Tinkerer

HI @AjiS5

Try doing this steps :

1) Right-click on the empty area of your desktop screen and click Display settings.

This image has an empty alt attribute its file name is img_5b5ed31f478c3jpg

2) Scroll down to Multiple displays and click Advanced display settings.

This image has an empty alt attribute its file name is img_5b5ed39ec0c51jpg

3) Click Display adapter properties for Display 1.

4) Click the Monitor tab, select 60 Hertz in Screen refresh rate. Then click Apply > OK.

5) Check to see if your Acer laptop screen flickering problem has been resolved.

Click yes if this was useful to you!!

Hi,

Thanks for the info. My system is already in 60 Hz refresh rate as i don't have any other option in the drop down list. Still the issue persists.

Thanks
    AJ
  • AjiS5

Tinkerer

Hi
    Any one could please help on resolving this.. Very irritating while taking online sessions.. I did update the driver from Intel site for Iris graphics, but still not fully resolved. Did pay a premium for this laptop. Now I feel I should have gone for Dell XPS at the same price.
    Thx
    AJ
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    I wonder if an app is trying to change the resolution on the fly? Any resolution change gives that kind of a flash as the mode changes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AjiS5

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I wonder if an app is trying to change the resolution on the fly? Any resolution change gives that kind of a flash as the mode changes.
    Hi,
    Its google meet or windows media player playing live video or playing a movie when this happens.
    Thanks,
    AJ
  • billsey
    Are they in full screen mode or in a window?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AjiS5

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Are they in full screen mode or in a window?
    Hi,
    Window mode. Not tried in full screen mode.
    Thx
    AJ
  • treq1234321
    treq1234321 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Even I have the exact same issue. I was able to get a temporary fix by rolling back the display driver. Although the flickering still exists in Excel and Word. 
  • AjiS5

Tinkerer

Even I have the exact same issue. I was able to get a temporary fix by rolling back the display driver. Although the flickering still exists in Excel and Word. 
    Hi,
    Same here too.. Alternatively you may install Intel Driver & Support assistant app which can download the latest driver from intel for IRIS PLUS graphics card but nothing solves the issue completely. I think we need to minimize the video and use other apps which reduces this flickering.. I wonder if the screen can handle video and other apps at the same time..
    Thx
    AJ
  • billsey
    So, it is looking like a driver issue. Probably in handling window refreshes. Hopefully Intel will get is sorted soon...
  • shoemakerconstruct
    shoemakerconstruct Member Posts: 1 New User
    FYI - I was having this issue with my new Acer _SPIN_ 5 and Microsoft Word and I fixed it by setting the display refresh rate to 50 Hz.
  • billsey
    50Hz to 60Hz refresh rate might be related to lighting in the room. Incandescent bulbs and older fluorescents run at the same speed as the power, 60Hz in the US, 50Hz in Europe. When the screen refresh is close to the flicker rate of the lights you get patterns when they don't line up exactly...
  • mmat
    mmat Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Guys, 
    anyone successful in getting this sorted out? For me it happens when scrolling in MS office apps. Everthing else works fine. Very frustrating, as otherwise the laptop is great. And I'm kind of sure it didn't happen at the very beginning, but I was not able to roll back so far as to get rid of it. The only refresh rate I have available is 60.049Hz.