Help! My aspire won't turn on.

pheatan
pheatan Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
my laptop is a few years old now and have had zero issues apart from a broken hinge q few months back. Now though it won't do anything unless the charger is plugged in and even then neither the screen or an external one displays. A flashing LED and the fan turning off and on are the only indicators something is happening.

I've tried the battery reset switch, a power reset, checking all the plugs everything, the only thing that made the laptop stay on for more than a second was removing the RAM but obviously it won't turn on without it. Before I go buying new batteries and RAM is there any suggestions you guys have to help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    Try turning on the lid and external screens with the FN+F6 and FN+F5 toggle key combinations. If neither work and you don't see any ACER boot logo, the graphics adapter might've failed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pheatan
    pheatan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey jack! I'm not quite sure if your comment was meant with the ram in or not. However when I took the first stick out and pressed fn+f6 the computer booted up normally. Honestly this laptop is just for YouTube and essay writing so I can live with 8gb of RAM. Thank you so much either way!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    Congrats. RAM's likely OK. But having more than 8GB would be hardly noticeable anyway other than bragging rights.   :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ