Acer Nitro 5 2500U throttling at 75C

sobordinates
sobordinates Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have the AN515-42 R5ED version with a Ryzen 5 2500U and RX 560X.
The temp limit on the website is 95C, but the CPU throttles at 75C. I checked this with MSI AFterburner, and it's the reason why I have so many stutters and microstuttering.
For example, when I freshly open Fortnite, the CPU runs at 3.2 Ghz, but then immediately downclocks to 2.00 Ghz for the rest of the game (and the temperature with max fans on is only 75C).
The temp also jumps down to the high 60s after hitting 75. Why is it doing this? It shouldn't throttle at that low of a temp, and it makes all my games unplayable.
Any help would be appreciated (because I've just discovered I've been throttling and I've had this laptop for a year now)

Best Answer

• ArchaosXII
    ArchaosXII Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    This has been my problem for the last 2 years now and finally got a temporary fix thanks to @P25ani . Ive been reading @1337Braz 's thread about this issue and tried @P25ani's fix.
    So you need to undervolt your GPU using msi afterburner and lower the CPU tdp using ryzen controller.
    I use msi afterburner to unlock the voltage control and extend the official overclocking limits on msi settings, this unlock wattman on radeon settings.
    P.S make sure that you select "extended MSI" settings on voltage control. I've tried standard and this causes a crash even at default voltage.

I'm playing Darksiders: Genesis and before the undervolt my GPU temps reaches 80 deg and CPU on 77 deg on constant 2.0ghz throttle and now that I undervolted the GPU this reduced my temp by almost 10 deg! I played for atleast one hour and my temps is at constant 70-71 degrees. even though it spikes above 75 and it throttles for a seconds and boost to 3.0ghz+ again while maintaining lower temps. I haven't even repasted and clean the fans for a year and this method is very effected at lowering temps and avoiding that CPU throttle. I just wish that acer release a BIOS update that bypass this because 75deg limit is ridiculous and we're losing HUGE performance because of this.

I used ryzen controller to reduce my cpu tdp by 20 and decrease temp limit by 80 (the default is 85)
    I reduced about 100mv on my GPU. I hope this helps tho.

Answers

• 6kapserg
    6kapserg Member Posts: 21 Networker
    i have the same problem 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited October 2020
    Hi, seems that you both are not the only one, look here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/acer-nitro-5-an515-42-cpu-throttle-2-0ghz-when-reaching-75-celsius-amd-ryzen-5-2500u.3606960/
     So you have to wait for a BIOS update. I suggest you two to open cases by Acer support and I hope this will speed the things.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• batmalin
    edited October 2020
    Or you can ask Acer to unlock the AMD CBS menu in the BIOS and you will be able to adjust the power limit by your self. Anyway good luck!

• sobordinates

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    Hi, seems that you both are not the only one, look here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/acer-nitro-5-an515-42-cpu-throttle-2-0ghz-when-reaching-75-celsius-amd-ryzen-5-2500u.3606960/
     So you have to wait for a BIOS update. I suggest you two to open cases by Acer support and I hope this will speed the things.
    Yeah I've actually contacted that person and he's said that it's a problem with the BIOS. Could you tell me how to contact acer support? I've used their chat feature using my warranty and they only give stupid, scripted answers like "turn on coolboost." I want to report this issue to an Acer engineer or someone.
  • batmalin
    Write them a mail, they read here as well from time to time...

• sobordinates

Tinkerer

Do know the official email of Acer (Not the marketing department)?
  • batmalin

• ArchaosXII
    Answer ✓
    This has been my problem for the last 2 years now and finally got a temporary fix thanks to @P25ani . Ive been reading @1337Braz 's thread about this issue and tried @P25ani's fix.
    So you need to undervolt your GPU using msi afterburner and lower the CPU tdp using ryzen controller.
    I use msi afterburner to unlock the voltage control and extend the official overclocking limits on msi settings, this unlock wattman on radeon settings.
    P.S make sure that you select "extended MSI" settings on voltage control. I've tried standard and this causes a crash even at default voltage.

I'm playing Darksiders: Genesis and before the undervolt my GPU temps reaches 80 deg and CPU on 77 deg on constant 2.0ghz throttle and now that I undervolted the GPU this reduced my temp by almost 10 deg! I played for atleast one hour and my temps is at constant 70-71 degrees. even though it spikes above 75 and it throttles for a seconds and boost to 3.0ghz+ again while maintaining lower temps. I haven't even repasted and clean the fans for a year and this method is very effected at lowering temps and avoiding that CPU throttle. I just wish that acer release a BIOS update that bypass this because 75deg limit is ridiculous and we're losing HUGE performance because of this.

I used ryzen controller to reduce my cpu tdp by 20 and decrease temp limit by 80 (the default is 85)
  • sobordinates

Tinkerer

Thanks!!! I was not sure how to undervolt the GPU and this clears everything up!! And yeah they REALLY NEED to get out a new BIOS update. 99% unlikely though because this laptop is old and they don't need to address it. Really wish I did more research and got the intel version because this amd version honestly isn't that good. Without the hundreds of hours I put into optimizing it, you'll get soooooooo many stutters and fps drops in games. And if they actually did release a BIOS update raising the temp limit I would legit cry
  • ArchaosXII

Thanks!!! I was not sure how to undervolt the GPU and this clears everything up!! And yeah they REALLY NEED to get out a new BIOS update. 99% unlikely though because this laptop is old and they don't need to address it. Really wish I did more research and got the intel version because this amd version honestly isn't that good. Without the hundreds of hours I put into optimizing it, you'll get soooooooo many stutters and fps drops in games. And if they actually did release a BIOS update raising the temp limit I would legit cry
    Glad that this method helps. Also me too. I wish that i did some research first before going ham on this configuration, It's not really AMD's fault i mean 2500u is really a great mid range CPU also RX560X goes toe to toe with GTX1050ti on mobile DGPUs because of AMDs driver updates. It's ACER that ruined it for putting a ridiculous temperature limit on the CPU if this is an 80 or 85°c limit i would accept it but 75°c doesn't make any sense at all. For the last 2 years i've been looking for a fix and sadly none of them works, CPU still throttling at 75°c. I've tried a lot of methods for the past years like locking cpu speed at lower frequency, experimenting with power plans, etc. So far undervolting the GPU is the only fix that works for me. It's all about the BIOS. A simple bios update by acer is gonna fix this problem in no time, by just increasing the temp limit by 5 or 10°c more would really help. This is my first gaming laptop that i had and i still love it till this day because i played and experienced a lot of games using this laptop but i have learned my lesson. I'm not gonna buy a gaming laptop again. Next time i'm just gonna build a freaking PC so that i don't need to worry about thermals anymore. 😂
  • sobordinates

Tinkerer

Glad that this method helps. Also me too. I wish that i did some research first before going ham on this configuration, It's not really AMD's fault i mean 2500u is really a great mid range CPU also RX560X goes toe to toe with GTX1050ti on mobile DGPUs because of AMDs driver updates. It's ACER that ruined it for putting a ridiculous temperature limit on the CPU if this is an 80 or 85°c limit i would accept it but 75°c doesn't make any sense at all. For the last 2 years i've been looking for a fix and sadly none of them works, CPU still throttling at 75°c. I've tried a lot of methods for the past years like locking cpu speed at lower frequency, experimenting with power plans, etc. So far undervolting the GPU is the only fix that works for me. It's all about the BIOS. A simple bios update by acer is gonna fix this problem in no time, by just increasing the temp limit by 5 or 10°c more would really help. This is my first gaming laptop that i had and i still love it till this day because i played and experienced a lot of games using this laptop but i have learned my lesson. I'm not gonna buy a gaming laptop again. Next time i'm just gonna build a freaking PC so that i don't need to worry about thermals anymore. 😂
    This is my first gaming laptop as well lol! And yeah I've also spent the last year just doing research on how to fix lag on this laptop. I've probably spent more time reinstalling windows 9 times over and optimizing it than actually playing games lol. But I credit all of my knowledge on PCs and gaming mainly due to the problems I've faced on this laptop. Ad good luck building your new PC :)
  • P25ani
    P25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    You can also enable freesync . Using CRU in this Laptop. I went through a lot of headache trying to remove the 75°c . Edited DCDT , ACPI tables and so on.ACER has put a temp limit on the bios itself. So its only them who can remove this. 
  • sobordinates

Tinkerer

Oh yea freesync is pretty awesome. I also tried using an application i found on the internet called BD-Prochot disabler but that didn't work. 
  • P25ani
    P25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    BD-Prochot worked for some other laptops with the R5 2500u though. I might give it a try . For Now only undercloking and Reducing tdp works which i have already shared how to do. Cooling pad also works like a charm just make sure you place the fans under the air vents. 
  • sobordinates

Tinkerer

yea. I recently got new thermal paste (some cooler master one) and it actually made the temps worse.