Options
djw1121
djw1121 Member Posts: 2 New User
Swift 3 SF314-52G
CPU: i5 8250U
GPU: Nvidia MX150
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 256GB SSD
Every so often, the laptop will go to a blue screen with either VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR or DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I've used the video drivers from Acer and Nvidia and it's happened both times. It's also happened over multiple versions of Windows. The only pattern I've noticed is that it's happened twice during attempted Geforce experience driver updates but it's happened many times outside of this also.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Take a few pictures of the BSODs, there often a bit more detail on the screen that helps pin it down.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • djw1121
    djw1121 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2020
    Options

These are the screens I get
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Unfortunately, that's one of the BSODs that doesn't give more info. :( Try doing a driver update for the NVIDIA MX150. My MX150 is running version 456.55 which was released just about a week ago.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • antman
    antman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Yes, everyone with this model is having the same issue. I also have it and there is no longer any solution since the latest windows updates forces you out of using version 1803, which was the last version where it actually ran without problems, but as said is no longer supported by microsoft. Deeply regret buying this Acer laptop, soon two years without a fix....
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi all,

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue, can I please know what version of the GeForce (Graphics) driver you all have currently installed in your units?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • gladw2
    gladw2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hello everyone I have the same Swift 3 SF314-52G with the same BSODs that are mentioned above. For the record it does not matter which NVidia driver you use. Using windows 10 1809 and onwards will trigger the above bsods.

Most of the time I run Linux mint on my laptop; for work and at home as it works perfectly without the usual Microsoft nonsense.

However I have been using newer windows 10 versions for a few months now without triggering the bsods.

The solution that I have found which continues to work is to Install the latest windows 10 version as of today 21h1, and download the latest intel graphics driver and then the latest NVidia driver 466.77. Once the NVidia driver is installed change the NVidia gpu to a mx250 instead of a the mx150 which my laptop comes with. This can be done by going Into device manager click properties then select update driver, then browse my computer for drivers, then select let me pick from a list, untick show compatible drivers and select NVidia and choose the mx250 and accept.

By doing all this I can confirm I no longer get the above bsods using versions 1809 and onwards. I hope this helps people who still use laptops from acer that suffer from this problem which have been ignored by Acer, Microsoft and NVidia. The full fix without the above steps most likely requires a bios update. I am aware that Lenovo have issued bios updates for its laptops to fix the above problem. Hope this helps I have reformatted my laptop a few times to ensure this works and that it is not just some coincidence, so I hope this can work for other people as well. 

Thanks