How to update BIOS when running Manjaro LInux

pfibarr
pfibarr Member Posts: 2 New User
I decided to ditch Windows, running Manjaro LInux. Anyone know how I can update the BIOS? Has anyone tried running the Acer software for this from Wine? I am a little hesitant to do that.
Thanks

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    i reckon you're straight out of luck to do that anywhere near as safely as when you had windows.   if you really had to for a good technical reason, then i would back up linux and reinstall windows to bios update then reinstall linux and restore.  
  • Damagedgoods2008
    Damagedgoods2008 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

you could always download it and then use a memory stick to update your bios through the existing bios screens before you boot up 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @pfibarr

You have to wait for the BIOS version with the letter "L" at the end, that L stands for Linux. I believe it is for Linux environment update.
  • StefanBruens2
    StefanBruens2 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Unfortunately Acer refuses to provide Bios updates for any recent system which can be used from Linux.

Things like the LVFS https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendors/#acer and UEFI firmware update capsules should make this easily doable (as other vendors show), but Acer apparently does not care.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2021
    Hey guys,

Here's a simple step-by-step guide on how to update your BIOS with Windows if you ditched Windows for Linux. (Assuming the laptop came pre-installed with Windows)

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-after-ubuntu-dual-boot/

Good luck and update your BIOS at your own risk!  :)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Actually I have installed Manjaro Linux on a 2.5" SATA3 SSD and used it with my TC-885-UA91. Manjaro is a good Linux distro but one thing I don't like it is it doesn't work right with my dual monitors plus a 4K TV setup. When the TV is on, it has the contents of the other two monitors enclosed inside it, I just cannot use the TV as a separate monitor. Hope the upcoming updates can solve the problem. Reaching the Manjaro Linux is just the matter of hitting F12 ( or Fn+F12) when bootup and selecting the SSD with Manjaro on it.

@pfibarr, I do not know your PC model and the hardware of it.
     If it has an unused PCIe x16, you can probably use an adapter with M.2 NVMe SSD and install Manjaro on this M.2 NVMe SSD and boot from it (assuming the hardware allow it, I have another Linuxmint occupying this PCIe x 16 slot already).
    Change Boot priority in BIOS to Linux ahead of Windows, then you have a Linux machine. Taking out the Windows HDD/SSD or not is your choice later.