Chromebox CX 13 Won’t Boot After Attempt to Upgrade SSD and RAM

TimGoodman
TimGoodman Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I tried to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8 GB and the SSD from 32 GB to 200 GB on a CX 13 Celeron Chromebox. After the changes, the box wouldn’t boot. I put back the original parts and it still won’t boot. If I power up with the reset button pressed, the power LED comes on while I hold both buttons down ( so there is power on the motherboard ) but I don’t get any output on the monitor. The manual (which I downloaded subsequently ) says “Do not modify the hardware yourself...”. Is it possible that I’ve locked myself out ? Is this state at all redeemable ? 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe it requires a trip back to the repair depot to fix. There are several components in a ChromeOS system that require firmware updates to match new serial numbers when replacing and the drive fits in that group. They need to reset the firmware to match either the old or new drive now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe it requires a trip back to the repair depot to fix. There are several components in a ChromeOS system that require firmware updates to match new serial numbers when replacing and the drive fits in that group. They need to reset the firmware to match either the old or new drive now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.