Predator Helios 300 Motherboard Issue, What are my options?

Options
N0M4D
N0M4D Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I purchased a brand new Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop two years ago from the time of this post.

As I was operating the laptop, mid-game I heard an IC pop at the charger port end and my laptop shut off immediately. It also gave out a distinct burnt IC smell. The laptop was charging while I was operating it. The core was NOT overclocked during this event. The temperature of the cores did not exceed 90°C as per the Predator Sense application minutes before the event. 

Here's what I did:

1) I let the laptop cool down for a while. Please note I was monitoring the core temperature and it did not reach above 90°C
2) I began long pressing the power On button for 10 seconds at intervals of 30 seconds. No response. (With battery)
3) similar to point number 2, I tried turning on the laptop with charger connected. During this, I noticed that the charging indication light is not turning on. This suggests that either the charger or the power circuit or both are not functioning anymore. 
4) I contacted my Acer certified service center. Upon diagnosis, they specified that most of the ICs on the motherboard are burnt and/or shorted. 

The service center said they had to replace the entire motherboard excluding the SSD, HDD, RAM and the GPU. The price of replacement was more than the actual price I paid for the laptop. I declined to take that option up. 

Here's the specification:

Core: Intel i5 8th Gen Processor
Operating System: Windows 10
RAM: 8GB
SSD: 128GB
HDD: 1TB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Model number: PH315-51-51V7
SNID: XXXXX
MFG Date: 10/08/2018
No mods or alterations were made. 

Warranty was for applicable for a year so there's nothing I can do now. 

Any suggestions on how to restore the laptop would be helpful. Or any other alternatives are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.