Screen suddenly went whitish and vertical lines started appearing

Options
MaxWeinstein
MaxWeinstein Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

So, a few hours ago i was playing Devil May Cry 5, and suddenly the screen started being white form the eadges and then it started leaving trails. I thought it was part of the cutscene and then I alt tabbed and saw it was happening everywhere. So, i restarted my laptop, but the problem didnt go away. I started a system restore because. After it was done, problem still wasnt fixed. The screen refreshes every now and then and when it does, screen becomes more whiter and while slowly turning back to normal brightness, it leaves  a trail of everything i do. What should i do. For some reason, it still has the tril of the system restore screen,

Best Answer

Answers

• Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Update or manually reinstall display drivers from device manager. If that doesn't work(it probably won't), then there is some hardware problem. Could be a damaged or loosely connected cable. Could be something wrong with the panel. 
    You'd better contact support and send it for repairs, assuming you are under warranty.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Do you see the same on the BIOS screen?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    Hahaha said:
    Update or manually reinstall display drivers from device manager. If that doesn't work(it probably won't), then there is some hardware problem. Could be a damaged or loosely connected cable. Could be something wrong with the panel. 
    You'd better contact support and send it for repairs, assuming you are under warranty.
    already reinstalled drivers and its probably not loose cables as changing screen, likee from desktop to browser and such temporarily makes it go away for about a second or two. I've been researching a bit, and i came upon a term called Screen burn, could it be that?
  • MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    Do you see the same on the BIOS screen?
    i havent checked, but its everywhere, even on start up as u can see in the screen provided, I'll check if its like that in bios tomorrow
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hahaha said:
    already reinstalled drivers and its probably not loose cables as changing screen, likee from desktop to browser and such temporarily makes it go away for about a second or two. I've been researching a bit, and i came upon a term called Screen burn, could it be that?
    Maybe. Sorry I can't be of more help since I am unfamiliar with screen burn.
  • batmalin
    Options
    Screen burn is something else, this is either loose flex cable, panel defect or GPU issue. Let us know if it is visible in BIOS.

• MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    Screen burn is something else, this is either loose flex cable, panel defect or GPU issue. Let us know if it is visible in BIOS.
    I just opened BIOS and its like that in BIOS also. 
  • batmalin
    Options
    Ok, so check the eDP cable connection.

• MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Ok, so check the eDP cable connection.
    i dont know how to open the case, and if it was a loose cable, moving/shaking the laptop would bring some change to the display right? that doesnt happen. And changing screens (Alt tabbing to a different window) makes it go away slightly for a second. And now, horizontal lines have appeared which makes reading texts very very hard.
  • batmalin
    Options
    Well, then call Acer support as this is not a SW issue because of the same view in BIOS.

• MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    Well, then call Acer support as this is not a SW issue because of the same view in BIOS.
    one last thing please, im really worried whether if its a GPU issue or display panel. I can screen mirror my laptop screen on tv and it appears fine. Is it likely to be a display panel issue?
  • batmalin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If no issues on the external monitor then most probably it is the cable or the panel

• MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    If no issues on the external monitor then most probably it is the cable or the panel
    thank you so much
  • batmalin
    Options
    You are welcome!

• VisualChin
    VisualChin Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    One question, could the problem be solved? If so, what was the solution. 
  • MaxWeinstein

Tinkerer

Options
    The display panel was the problem, had to swap it out for a new one. They didn't say anything about why it was damaged or how, and I have no idea also as I have always used it with care.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi VisualChin,

Are you facing the same issue. May I know the full model name of your unit.

• godofninja
    godofninja Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The display panel was the problem, had to swap it out for a new one. They didn't say anything about why it was damaged or how, and I have no idea also as I have always used it with care.

Easwar said:
    Hi VisualChin,

Are you facing the same issue. May I know the full model name of your unit.

yes I have the same problem with the Acer nitro qg221q monitor I don't know what to do any suggestion
    I also contacted Acer service via call but they said I have to get them by email is it for real please tell me