Problem with additional disk for TravelMate B117-M

realgnostic
realgnostic Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi
I've tried to add disk to my Travelmate laptop (build-in has 32GB, what is barely enough for Windows alone) but I have a problem.
Socket is apparently for M2 disk (wide like for 2'5'' disk, with montage point for screw though) BUT there's SATA slot 

For me it looks like one part is from one model and second from another. I tried to remove this screw pin to mount 2,5'' disk, but no success.
I spoke with polish Acer service, but they claim that casing has to be replaced (paid replacement, about 40$, as they insist it isn't factory defect), without it no additional disk can be used in this model.
I really doubt that this is really the case, it looks idiotic to sell laptop with additional disk compartment, which no disk.fits.
Did any of you had such issue?
Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    They shipped these with one of three different motherboards. I believe the SATA socket is installed on the eMMC versions and the HDD only versions and the M.2 socket is installed on the SSD versions. You just install the 2.5" HDD or SSD there inverted and use a piece of mylar to isolate it from the nut.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • realgnostic
    edited September 2020
    billsey said:
    They shipped these with one of three different motherboards. I believe the SATA socket is installed on the eMMC versions and the HDD only versions and the M.2 socket is installed on the SSD versions. You just install the 2.5" HDD or SSD there inverted and use a piece of mylar to isolate it from the nut.

To mount 2,5'' drive I'd have to drill a hole in disk ;)
  • billsey
    I thought the SATA Connector was high enough to fit the disk on top of the standoff...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • realgnostic
    billsey said:
    I thought the SATA Connector was high enough to fit the disk on top of the standoff...
    nope :(
  • billsey
    OK, you might need to pull the MB to verify, but that nut is most likely just a press fit into the MB, so a little wiggling should allow it to be pulled up. If it's no longer there it certainly should no longer interfere.  :)