27" XB271HUA - Attempting to diagnose several screen issues that randomly occur

Options
Bonovision
Bonovision Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi everyone, first time poster and first time lurker. 

To my detriment, I'm experiencing some very randomly intermittent display symptoms with my monitor and I have no way of currently knowing whether it is in fact the monitor itself, or potentially my GPU starting to fritz. This is my only display for my desktop. I'm hoping what I'm experiencing isn't unique and that some of you have diagnosed the cuplrit(s) with a clear resolution. I have run a stress test on my video card which (kind of annoyingly - I was hoping to give myself a reason to get a RTX 3080) performed flawlessly with consistent voltage and temps. 

I chatted with Acer support who advised:
- I switch my DP cable to rule out whether the original one is faulty.
- I connect said new DP cable to a different display port on my GPU.
- I connect a different monitor to my PC to see if the same issues replicate. 

I am going to try the first two options today and hopefully will be able to grab an old unused monitor from work to address step 3. If there is anything else I should test please let me know!

PC specs are:
- 27" Acer Predator 1440p/144hz/G Sync
- Noctua AIO CPU cooler
- I7-8700k 3.7ghz
- 64GB DDR4 3200mhz
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX Duke 1070ti 8GB
- MSI Z370 SLI PLUS Motherboard
- 2 x 1TB NVMe M2 SSD
- SATA 256GB SSD (for Windows)
- 2 x 2TB HDD

List of Symptoms:
- The screen periodically flickers quite aggressively during regular use (surfing the net, watching movies). While gaming, this doesn't seem to happen (or I don't notice) but shadows in certain games have a continual flicker. My digging around does note that this could be a continued NVIDIA issue but I'm noting it here as I'm not sure if these two flicker symptoms are separate or related.

- After waking up or rebooting, the screen shifts slightly on the left side of the frame leaving a tiny gap, which is a duplicate of the main screen (I can see blips of my typing in the space). I've attached a shot of this:

- there is screen tearing down the middle of monitor. These two symptoms don't always show up together. The shifting gap has been far more common than the splitting line. If I reboot the PC, the issues disappear for an undetermined period of time. Acer support advised me to increase my "OD setting" to extreme as it was currently at normal. An example is pictured here:

Thank you everyone for your time!

Answers

• shattered
    shattered Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    The vertical line problem is caused by the firmware version being older most likely.  Unfortunately the only options are to send the monitor in to a repair center and hope they actually update the firmware (proprietary method that cannot be done by the end user) or just turn the monitor off and back on for a quick "fix".  I will be creating a post that addresses my issues with the vertical line and the repair process or lack thereof in the near future. 

I do not know anything about your other problem.  Sorry.