Power Supply Unit for an Aspire XC-885 - I need help

Options
DJBoshh
DJBoshh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, can anybody tell me where i can find & buy a replacement PSU for my Aspire XC-885? I can't seem to find an exact replacement for my PSU model (pe-5221-02al) on Google. I don't mind buying a compatible alternative but i don't even know what to look for, i.e type, size, specs i'd need etc (i'm not too clued up in this area). Thanks. 

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @DJBoshh

Your PSU is indeed  proprietary. Standard PSU normally has 4 screw holes cannot fit in (not a big problem, people can drill a hole easily). Dimensions is the problem. 85mm x 150mm is like the standard dimension for ATX form factor.

Answers

• ttttt
    Options
    @DJBoshh
    Can you measure the dimensions of the existing power supply and post it here? I suspect it may be the same as my TC-885 but not sure. If the dimension at the rear end of the PSU is like a standard one, you can get a standard PSU but have to get a 15-pin to 6-pin SATA power connector. The DVD drive is a laptop drive using 6-pin connector, that may not be available from standard PSU.

NOTE: Also take a look at the connector to the motherboard. Is it 4-pin PCIe connector or is it 6-pin specialized connector (I am not talking about the standard 24-pin connector to the motherboard)
    ? Taking some close up pictures will help.
    BTW, what is the reason that you want to change the PSU?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    The XC-885 uses a standard ATX supply with the 24 pin MB connector.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DJBoshh

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    @DJBoshh
    Can you measure the dimensions of the existing power supply and post it here? I suspect it may be the same as my TC-885 but not sure. If the dimension at the rear end of the PSU is like a standard one, you can get a standard PSU but have to get a 15-pin to 6-pin SATA power connector. The DVD drive is a laptop drive using 6-pin connector, that may not be available from standard PSU.

NOTE: Also take a look at the connector to the motherboard. Is it 4-pin PCIe connector or is it 6-pin specialized connector (I am not talking about the standard 24-pin connector to the motherboard)

Hi tttt
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Here's the approximate dimensions (approximate because it's a bit hard to do accurately with the PSU still installed):

Also, i'm wondering if the reason why i can't find a new one on the internet is maybe because the PSU maybe custom made for that PC model (XC-885 - Part Number: DT.BAQEK.002), i.e size and screw hole placings etc. I hope that I'm wrong about that. These are the screw hole placings at the back of the PC for the PSU:

I've managed to work out how to buy spare Acer parts here in England (UK). The Acer website makes it very hard to work that out, but I've managed to find a phone number that you have to ring. I'm not sure why you just can't find your part on-line and order it! I rang the phone number today for over an hour buy no reply. So i then tried their live chat feature and again no answer. So I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated now.

I've uploaded a recording of the sound to my Google Drive where you can hear the sound that's coming from the PSU. I know it's definitely the PSU because i poked a wooden toothpick gently into the fan area to see if the sound stopped & it did.

I hope the supplied information helps, and any help is very much appreciated.

• DJBoshh

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @DJBoshh

Hi tttt, sorry for the late reply

Here's the dimensions of the PSU (approximate because i measured with the PSU still installed):

I have a feeling that the reason why i can't find a new one on the internet is possibly because the PSU maybe proprietary, i.e made specifically just for my model which is a XC-885 Part Number: DT.BAQEK.002. The reason why I'm thinking that is because of the screw hole placings at the back. Here's a photo of them:

After a lot of trouble searching Google and the Acer website i finally found a phone number that i can ring here in England (UK) for Acer spares. They make that information very hard to find. I did ring it today for over an hour without any reply. I also tried their live chat feature without someone answering. So, i'm feeling frustrated. Why they just can't have an on-line ordering system for parts is a bit of mystery really!

I've also uploaded a recording of the sound to my Google Drive of the clicking sound. you can listen here

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited the content to hide personal information.

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @DJBoshh

Your PSU is indeed  proprietary. Standard PSU normally has 4 screw holes cannot fit in (not a big problem, people can drill a hole easily). Dimensions is the problem. 85mm x 150mm is like the standard dimension for ATX form factor.
  • DJBoshh

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    @DJBoshh

Yep, as I suspected. I'll have to phone Acer spares (& hope they answer this time).

Did you have a listen to the recording of the sound the PSU is making (link in my previous comment)?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @DJBoshh,
    Yes, I can hear something is not quite right with the fan. What we can do is to use vacuum cleaner to suck out dust or/and spray compressed air to get rid of dust. I may spray some lubricant to the moving parts of the fan after getting rid of the dust, with the hope to avoiding further deterioration of the fan.

If you don't mind not a perfect dimension match at the back of the case, you can try to get another smaller than the standard ATX form factor PSU( maybe min-ATX, DTX type) with enough wattage and right connectors and drill holes ( you may need to do further research on that).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sorry, I must have been looking at the TC-885 instead of the XC-885. The Acer part number is DC.2201H.004 and it's a standard Mini-ITX / FLEX ATX supply. There are plenty of sources for them in the 220W size, it's tougher but you can also find 300W versions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @DJBoshh,
    If you cannot get the part from Acer, seems like FLEX ATX PSUs can be a solution if you have the equipment to drill holes. You can even upgrade to one powerful enough for adding graphics card (if you want).
  • DJBoshh

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    @DJBoshh,
    If you cannot get the part from Acer, seems like FLEX ATX PSUs can be a solution if you have the equipment to drill holes. You can even upgrade to one powerful enough for adding graphics card (if you want).
    I managed to contact Acer spares in the end (here in the UK via telephone). I'm now torn between buying the new PSU or just buying a brand new PC (because the HDD may need replacing soon anyway).

Thanks for taking an interest & time to help me with my problem. It's very appreciated. I'm sure others will stumble across the same problem & find this page too.

All the best, & thanks again.
  • jn1lfd
    jn1lfd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B08Y8JL8B6/

This power supply works fine.

The originally built-in LITEON power supply unit failed because it could not withstand the summer heat, so I replaced it. I have a proven track record.

Good Luck.